HybridZ

rb26dett to 280Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Alright guys, new to the swapping department, but hey i'm only 16. So couple questions, Can a rb26dett be swapped in to my 1976 280Z? This guy that was going to import me a RHD z32TT said it would, and the 6 speed that comes with it can be used. I haven't had much time to search for all the answers but can someone give me the basics on what needs to be custom fabricated for my car, i already have someone that can make me a custom driveshaft if it is at all possible for the 6 speed. If i decided to do it myself with my father and a local Z club to help with info, what would it cost me, i've already got the price of the motor saved(about 4500) Just need some help. Thanks.

SpArTaCuS

You will all on this list just to get the car running with a RB26DETT

-A Modified ZR200 Oilpan (from Japan)

-Custom oil pickup

-Skyline GTS clutch

-Skyline GTS 5-speed (The 6-speed is AWD)

-ZR200 motor mounts or a set of custom ones

-Custom transmission mount

-Custom drive shaft of the front part from a Skyline GTS

-Intercooler

-Big fuel pump

-Custom Throttle cable

-Custom down pipe

-Custom Intercooler plumbing

So I would bank on 10,000$ just to get it running, If you do all the work your self. And you will be left with a 350-400hp Zcar that is :twisted: DANGEROUS :twisted: , so now it is time for a roll bar, big brakes, better suspention, subframe connectors.

ive got over 20K in mine and still have no interior and a rear end that will be questionable at best at the track. If i do it again i will start with the chassis first before i get it running. otherwise you will be pulling it apart time and time again to upgrade drivetrain parts. I would find a relatively rust free shell, connect the frame rails. Install a 10pt + cage. a custom narrowed c-5 vette rear with steel shafts. and a 3 speed glide. then get the electronics and motor stuff installed.

i think it will hold....The new clutch was slipping alittle bit but it may be because i was letting my foot sit in the pedal between shifts. with the cage im a little closer to the pedals now and have to concentrate on keeping my foot off the pedal

Guest Zachb55

Wow, that's a lot of money, i was thinking of doing maybe just the engine swap for my senior project, but the more i think about how i would want to do it right im already too far to want to take steps backwards to make my car strong enough for the engine, maybe ill go for a V8 swap instead, that would probly make for a much less complicated report as well :P:wink:

-Zach

Hi Stony,

I paid $650 US for it, but when I bought the new one, I found out I didn't need another one because the ceramic material from the original engine I bought was okay after all. It's been hanging around here since then. I'll sell it to you for $450 US. Let me know. If you need a pic, I can send you pictures. It's really grippy :-D When you engage the clutch, it makes a nice grabbing sound, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Rick

WoW, must coat over $1500us for that clutch assy. How is that set up feels to you, is it worth the money? I going to built another soon and thinking going twin or more, It'll be mainly for drag racing and very little street driving, I heard that OS clutch not too bad for the streets.

Rick

Guest Anonymous

After doing lots of research i think i've decided against the rb26dett FOR NOW. I think i'm going to go with an 79-81 Turbo ZX motor with a 5 speed. Then once that's noto fast enough for me(and after doing lots of suspension and brake mods) Then maybe i upgrade to the rb26. One big question that i can't find the answer. How would i go abuot putting 4 wheel disc on my 280Z? I haven't found a kit or anything so where's the best place to search. Got any advice, either PM me or just reply

• 4 months later...

i know this is a old topic but if im not mistaken, the only GTR that is 6spd is the R34. But ive seen throughout the website people saying that all of the AWD trans are 6 speeds, not 5. Because I highly doubt that anyone is using a R34 setup here.