HybridZ

fuel starvation on '72 with tripple webers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've been having nothing but trouble with fuel delivery for months now. I'm on my third electric fuel pump, and think its about to go. Heres whats happening this time! okay...so i start my car, no problem right? drive it for a mile or two, all of a sudden i hear this loud noise from the rear of my car (the sound of a dry fuel pump). I look under my hood, theres almost no gas in my fuel filter, and the pump is making some funky sounds. Eventually the car stalls, and then the fuel finally comes back online and i can drive for a few more miles....tell me wat i got to do!!!

thanks alot

ed

by the way, my engine set up is 3 40 DCOE's on a l24 with a 5 PSI electric fuel pump.

Guest thepenguin99

Have you checked the soft fuel line at the back near the tank? If it is rotten or cut your pump might be sucking air.

I recently had this problem with an old Toyota pickup; it turned out to be rust migrating from the gas tank. It was an ongoing hassle until I took the tank off and rinsed it out thoroughly and cleaned the lines. The tank pickup line and a banjo style fitting (on a spin on filter added ahead of the electric pump) were plugging with rust particles. The particles settled out in slow flow areas/sharp turns and formed blockages that looked almost like felt.

Ck that the fuel filters aren`t holding some crap in them.

My car sat for a while, when I got it going again after a few miles the car would start loosing power and then die.

Long story short, I ended up changing fuel filters about every 100 miles until the tank got cleaned out.