HybridZ

Where can I get a wiring harness made?

Looks like the wiring under the hood of my 78 Z would be better off if completely replaced, especially since i'm going to put on the GTO clip with all new lights.

Is there a place I can contact, like Nismo, to get or have a new one made? Could there be a compatible wiring harness from a modern car? I wouldn't mind if the lengths weren't exact.

Why not just get a wiring diagram and make one yourself. It's not that hard, and you will then have an indepth knowledge of where all the wires go. Go to Waytekwire.com for supplies.

I did the entire harness for the LT1 Z completely from scratch. A weekend worth of work and it is neater and more logical than any I've seen 'off the shelf'.

Tim

I'll agree with Tim, the under hood wiring is pretty simple since it is really only lights & horn. The engine is a seperate issue. It would be a good time to put in the headlight relay setup that gets posted all time the time (Pete P's setup). You can use the old wiring as a guide to creating you own, just be sure to have a good wiring diagram and Volt/Ohm Meter.

- Joe

I wired a '32 deuce once - took me 3 months, on weekends, using both hands. If I was able to do the wiring, I already would have redone the lights. But since I am without the use of one hand, it would take a many months just for the front and I'm not sure I would really trust the job.

On the other hand, is it possible to get the (original) connectors? If I did my own wiring, I'd do it in sections, so I could still use the car. Good for testing the circuits, too.

I did alot research on this and your choices are: you can rewire it from scratch, buy custom/new one or buy a universal harness. If you are just going to rewire a section I'd do it from scratch. If you going to rewire the whole car I would buy a universal harness. I compared the various ones and picked American Autowire. The fuse box is modular so I can put it anywhere I want, the wire is heat/abrasion resistent, the wire is labeled every few inches with exactly what it goes too, and everthing is packed in individual bags for each sub-system with all wires, connectors, switches etc. When your ready to wire the front lights, pull out that bag and everything is there. Comes with a great, easy to read wiring diagram too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had an idea.... :idea:

What if I hacked the wiring harness at the JY out of another vehicle, like a small truck or car with the lights in approximately the same places? The truck might be easier to hack, and I could remove the sections as needed, so the wires could be relatively new. It might improve brightness of the headlights?

:?: