HybridZ

MSA Xenon airdams

Forrest

Hi guys,

I would like to get an airdam for my 1977 280Z. (Also, I plan on taking my bumpers off and replacing them with fiberglass 240 bumpers, eventually, but short term, I am just planning on taking off my valence pieces, that bar that goes behind the bumper that holds the mounts, and the bumper itself, and putting the airdam on.)

I like the way the xenon airdams looks, and when I've asked people what they had on their car, they've told me "the xenon airdam from MSA." So I'm thinking, ok, no problem, I just call MSA, tell them what I want to do, and get one that will work. They list two eurothane airdams for first gen Z cars, and it's hard to see much difference in the pictures, other than the fact that the models have their stock bumpers on. One is part 1411, listed for 70-74 years, and the other is 1412, listed for 75-78.

Unfortunately, when I talked to the guy on the phone, he starts insisiting that these things mount to the bumper itself, and that if you take the bumper off, it won't mount any more "without modification". I tried to ask him where it mounted, but I didn't get a clear answer. That didn't sound right to me at all, as I have seen a good many 280's without bumpers that have the xenon airdam on there, and they certainly don't look like they mount to the bumper. So he couldn't tell me whether I needed the 1411, or 1412 (because according to him, NEITHER would work.) From the tiny picture in the catalogue, there is no way to tell if the 75-78 (1412) has some kind of cutaway for the larger bumper or the mount behind it that I wouldn't want, and clearly someone who is telling me that it mounts to the bumper itself won't be able to help me.

So, my questions are:

1) Don't the airdams mount where the left and right valence pieces currently mount, or am I going insane, or both?

2) Will either airdam mount to my car, (without bumpers), ie, is there any difference at all in where the two airdams mount, and any difference as to where they can mount between the 70-74 and 75-78 Z's?

3) Does the 75-78 xenon airdam they list have a cutaway for the larger bumper, or places to mount to the bumper support (which I need to take off) on the 77? (because in this case I wouldn't want it)

4) Has anyone in my situation ordered from MSA and can tell me exactly which part number I need?

Sorry if this is a little jumbled, I just couldn't believe what I was hearing on the phone, and I'm little frustrated. I wanted to have it ordered by now, dang it. Assuming I'm not out of my mind, and the guy was completely wrong, their people are actively driving away business with ignorance.

:|

-Forrest

I don't have my MSA book in front of me, BUT I can tell you that the reason there is a difference in part numbers for the first gen. Z car is because of the turn signals. Early Z's had them below the bumper, later Z's had them in the grill. Look at the pictures, you'll see what I mean. I never mounted one of those, but I'm pretty sure they do not mount to the bumper. There is one airdam sold by MSA that DOES require you to take off the old bumper though, maybe that's where the guy was getting screwed up?

!M!

Actually I just noticed that, at first glance it looked like a part of the bumper.

The guy did mention the bumperless air dam, which I personally am not a big fan of, but he was telling me that both of the other 2 air dams "had" to be mounted to the stock bumpers. Sheesh.

So, it seems like the 75-78 is the right one, and apparently MSA just raised their prices on that one by 40$. Ouch, wasn't planning on paying almost 200$ for it. Anyone have good experience ordering Xenon parts from anywhere else?

-Forrest

Guest thepenguin99

I would just shop around. I would say 95% of the time if someone else carries the item you can beat MSAs price.

I can tell you for sure that the Xenon air dam that I have (for the 70-74 Z) does not mount to the bumper, but to the fenders and headlight bucket.

I don't have a catalog in front of me, but this site shows the one I have:

http://body-kits.com/xenon/nissan-datsun_z_coupe_1970-1978.htm

The one I have is the top left on, X3124.

They get $195 for it (US).

The one you want is the top right one, X3125, same price.

(BTW, that sale ends June 1)

The bumper has noting to do with mounting these.

I'd go elsewhere. If the MSA sales guy can't get this right, and they usually charge a premium, spend your money elsewere. Also, try to find one locally, as shipping can be expensive on these.

Guest Venture-Z

can I put a 240 air dam (the flexable one from MSA) on my 78? How about some 260 bumpers? Will the bumper brackets bolt on?

Guest Venture-Z

I just got a set of 260 bumpers for my 280, and am determined to get them on there somehow. Everythng seems close enough to fit with only slight modification. I just couldn't stand those 280 bumpers another day. I plan on making a 240 air dam fit, and puting fog lights where the 280 turn signals are. Then I'll weld a 260 grill to the bottom of the stock 280 one to fill in the space at the bottom.

Guest Perry

I have what appears to be the xenon air dam on my car (it was there when I bought the car) and have removed my bumpers (280Z). the airdam has nothing to do with the bumpers on this car. Now that I have it all off, there is a huge "mouth" on the front of the car that I'm not sure what I am doing with yet.

Perry

By all, you don't mean the airdam, do you? What I'm going to do is either buy or fabricate some fiberglass 240 bumpers. I think that will take care of the wounded look of all the missing hardware.