HybridZ

pontiac 400 engine... hmmm

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i just remembered that an uncle of mine recently gave up on rebuilding his gto engine and is just gona buy a new one and he said i can have it ( the old one... its out of a 71 GTO can i stuff this under the hood of a 79 280zx?? probably not right? if anyone knows anyhting about this please help. i would love to see that much power in my little z :twisted:

• 3 weeks later...

[Can I punch you in the nose for talking about Pontiac in a Ford Board?]

Why did you say that? I support anybody that does not want a chevy. There is not a pontiac area on the board so he did right by not putting it in the chevy area.

Don

Most people do deserve better than having a chev.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
I support anybody that does not want a chevy. There is not a pontiac area on the board so he did right by not putting it in the chevy area.

um.. pontiac and chevy are damn near synonymous. It's a lil powerhouse we call GM... I was just trying to help him as a fellow GM'er from going astray. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I dont like to go so far off topic, but pontiac and chevrolet V8's are about as different as ford and chevy. The pontiac's wider angle V and sheer size and strength make it a monster of a motor. One the big hot rod mags did a BOP build up a while ago. ( I think it was car craft). They used 455's but were running relatively low compression (about 9.5) and only off the shelf parts, and with edelbrock heads, intake and carb, made 501 hp and ~630 ft/lbs, if you do a simple ratio, you could reasonably squeeze out 440 hp and 553 ft/lbs from a 400, I have thought about it for a while because I already have a good running 400, but I think you'll have problems with the exhaust at least. The motor is really wide. The intake manifold is about 5 inches wider that a SBC's. then think about wider heads. You'd be so close to the innner fenders. I am sure it can be done, but you're looking at a lot more work than with a smaler motor. If you can do it? More power to ya, and us all know how it turns out.