HybridZ

Good idea or bad idea?

Guest GoaTSLonG

Guest GoaTSLonG

I'm 17 going to UTI (Uninversal Technical Institute) in illinois this september to be an automotive technician, I have wanted a RB powered Z for as long as I can remember. In january I am getting $48,000 from a lawsuit (yea i know its not that much but hey its enough for a nice Z :evil: ) I know lots of you are gonna say "save your money and invest it for a house" but thats not what I'm doing thats not the type of person i am. That said, is this is a good way to start this project. My plan was to buy a RB26 w/GTS RWD tranny, rebuild it with jun/tomei internals, get a front mount, injectors, standalone engine management, and basically just have a worked motor. I'm expecting to spend around $12k in engine mods. Then by the time the motor is rebuilt and everything, I will have a decent paying job ($40k+ per year to start) working for BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Porsche. Then its time to find a car, a 72 240z preferably, i want to prep it, paint it, do suspension and brakes and a roll cage (i can build the rollcage my self after UTI). Now comes time to put the engine, tranny and rear end in and im "done" :burnout: .

Sorry for the long ass post you dont have to read it if you dont want haha. But does this sound like a decent plan? I'm not planning on having the fastest car in the world, infact im not really too into 1/4 mile drag racing, more road racing, drift and just all around badas car. Thanks alot

George.

Guest ON3GO

hey im going to UTI in spetember too.. but Texas though.. u should go there.. we can be roomates and both work on our Z's. lol.

it sounds like a plan, but u have to remember its not as simple as it sounds. IM very sure u can get the whole car done and have plenty left over from that money. but i would say 1st get the car then start working on it.

Mike

George,

Welcome to the empty wallet. All of us who are currently and have done the RB swap have around 20k in the car. You can do a bare bones swap for about 12k, but that is pushing it.

I'll give you my standard "Do a Search", but in a nicer tone than recently,(my pee-pee was slapped for not doing it right - wait, can I say that here?). Anyways, there is lots of good information in these threads already.

Here are my thoughts on the different aspects of your "project".

First, why in the world build a motor with all those internals when the stock internals and head can suppport 400 whp on stock turbos with 15psi of boost?(Stony who posts here has 394). He had 350 on stock boost levels. You said you won't really drag race, and are more into road racing,(I instruct with NASA and other groups on the East coast). I will tell you that in a Z, any Z, more than about 350-400 hp at the wheels is overkill in the Z and you won't be able to even come close to utilizing it on the track, much less public roads.

My suggestion, stay stock on the motor to start. Get it in the Z and running,(a really big deal). Then, and only then,(running and working properly), start thinking about upgrading parts.

The RB26 is a race engineered motor and you dumping 10-12k in parts is only usefull if you want more than 750 hp.

Trust me when I say get it in the car and running as quick as you can. No project is fun when it takes 2-3 years to complete.

There are three of us making the stock ECU work,(two are closer than the other one), and two others are using aftermarket ECU's.

I say get a good donor car first, then get an oil pan done,(there are a few options we can talk to you about), and get the motor/tranny in the car. There are several options for motor mounts, from about $100-250. There are several options for the tranny mounts, from bolt-in to weld-in.

The stock GTR front part of the driveshaft will work and bolt up to the tranny and R-200. All that is left to fabricate is the intercooler piping, the fuel lines, and the exhaust. All of which we have fairly simple solutions that work well.

Bottom line, I think your project can work, but some of your ideas are just unecessary. You can get on the road a lot faster by doing some things different.

-Bob

Guest BigWhyteDude
:( i wish i was going to NTI this fall :( . I really really want to go but my parents well..... my dad said no F'in way. :evil: To bad for me thats what i really want to do with my life. THe whole automotive thing not necisarily NASCAR. I wish you both good luck and a word of warning you better stay on top of your work. Good luck to you guys, wish me luch with my dad :twak:

Guest eric-z

hey guys,

sorry, this is off the subject but... I'm going to be a senior in highschool next year, do you guys know where I can get some info about UTI. is there anyone on the site that has gone to this school and wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts about it.

thanks,

eric

and good luck with your RB powered Z

Guest GoaTSLonG

check out http://www.uticorp.com call them and set up an appointment for a rep to come to your house and explain everything. I visited the campus last month and it is top notch. Job oppurtunities are awsome and within 4 years you can be making $100,000++ per year.

I was planning on making around 450rwhp with upgraded turbos at "low" boost, I was thinking a pair of t3/t4's or even a pair of HKS GT2835's. I like to build the top end because it just gives me confidence and also incase I totally change my mind and want to build a full time drag car or even anything like that I like having confidence. :D

Guest Anonymous

Heck if your going to totaly build the engine, why not just toss on 2 GT3035's? Pull some 16second 0-300km hehe. My thoughts are keep the internals stock, keep the turbo's stock. With a good FMIC, straigh 4'' down pipe and exhaust and 15psi the Z will be more then enough fun. And at 17yrs old thats way more power then you are ready for, thats for sure!

Guest Zachb55

Hey dude, thats awesome your getting that money, and i would probly do something similar to you, but think of this, your going to have 40+ thousand dollars, you know what you should do? SOMETHING DIFFERENT. if your willing to spend most all that money on a car then why not go for a supra swap, or a 20B rotary engine. either of those properly tuned can be amazing for drifting, just think how easy you can roast some tires off around a corner with 1000 HP. just make sure you save some of that mula for tires...lol. Good luck on whatever you do. i wouldnt mind getting into one of those schools, but i need a basketball scholarship so i dont think they would go for that... oh well. seriously though, i really urge you to take the path less beaten, and do something more amazing and outstanding with that money.

-Zach

Guest GoaTSLonG

well i would do something like that but im not really looking to be THAT different or spend all of my money. I already have a sr20det powered 240sx that is perfect for drifting. The 240z will be a roadrace/weekend warrior, somewhat gutted (keeping the dash and console etc), roll cage, coilovers, some 6 piston calipers for the front, 4 piston rear if i can find some, rb26dett with 2 HKS GT3040's, FMIC, full standalone, sparco seats, twin walbro fuel pumps, injectors, a nice set of wheels, a nice paintjob and defiantly some dyno time.

Guest Zachb55

That front valance is the 50-1685 product from the MSA catalog, i wasnt sure if you noticed that it was the one with the license plate spot built in. :wink:

-Zach