HybridZ

ford 302 5.0 in a zx. have some questions.

Guest bigjim240z

Guest bigjim240z

ok im not worried about motor mounts or trans mounts or drive shafts, i know this has been covered alot..ive got all that down and can build it in my sleep. what i am concerned about is weights. will my zx weigh less than a 5.0 mustang? my brother has a pretty quick mustang but its not all that to tell you the truth, if my zx wont be any faster than a stock 5.0 i dont think all the trouble would be worth me doing. plans for my engine are e303 cam (to keep smog legal), shorty headers, maybe a set of gt-40 heads and thats about it. it will have stock efi for now as well. i was gona go the chevy route but i think i can get ford parts easier, like a complete mustang with a good 5.0 motor and t-5 for 1200-1500. maybe less. would it be worth my time?..thanks for any advice.

All I can offer is just the 5.0 engine alone, with the aluminum heads, should weigh-in less than the stock ZX engine.

What year mustang? I think a 90's Mustang comes in around 3500#s, a ZX must weigh less than that(?) so you should save there too.

Have fun.

Jon

It is worth it in style points alone. With the ZX you have a 2-seat cockpit, long hood, hatchback, sugar scoop haedlights..... With a '79 - '93 Mustang you get...... a..... 2-door Fairmont with different plastic trim?

Then on the mechanical side: 4 wheel independent suspension.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bigjim240z

well..its still an option..just waiting till winter...if you can call it that in so cal...ok what im waiting for is it to drop below 105 degrees everyday...can work in the heat! thanks for the help guys.

Guest bigjim240z

well the zx has been promoted to daily driver since aquiring a 240z. now i gotta figure out which motor to put in the 240z..lol..302 ford or 350 chevy. the 302 is lighter and a little smaller, and the distributor up front helps. either motor would be carborated so efi isnt an issue...i think a 302 ford with some nice compression, aluminum intake, big carb and big exaust, along with a t-5, this should make a quick car.