HybridZ

5spd whine

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a stock 5spd that whines when its in neutral and the clutch is dissengaged. Dont know if it does it when driving, exhaust is too loud to hear it. Anyone know which bearing this is and how hard is it to change?

Thanks

The only shafts that are turning in the trans when its in neutral are the input shaft and the countershaft. Could one of 5 bearings on the 2 shafts. Input shaft has one large ball bearing and one small needle bearing. Countershaft on a 5spd has 3 large ball bearings. All are pretty much the same work to get at - split the trans at the bearing flange. I have found that countershaft bearings pack it in first, usually. I guess you could take the front cover off inside the bell housing it check the input shaft brg and the countershaft front brg easily. Get out your manual and learn what's inside I guess!

Good luck - Doug

I'd say the countershaft bearings are the likely culprit as they take enormous side loads and usually go first.

The center countershaft bearing is a pain in the a$$ to remove and replace as it requires a press for both operations, and is more than likely the cause of your noise. Dougs suggestion is a good one - inspect what you can without removing the tranny, but taking it out is the only way to get a good view. And it's really not that difficult to remove and reinstall...

I had the center bearing go on mine...the inner race shattered and the race and ball bearings wound up in the gear sump. The outer race remained in the center carrier. I don't know how it didn't do any damage on the way, but all the gear teeth are fine. Once the center bearing goes, you have only the two end bearings taking all that side load, and they will eventually fail as well.

I guess you could load up the throw-out brg with the clutch when in neutral and see if the noise changes. Just press lightly on the clutch pedal and see if the noise changes. I've rebuilt a couple 5spds that the center countershaft brg was in pieces. One was from my car and you couldn't tell there was a problem with the trans when it was running. I drained the oil and there were ball brgs stuck to the chip plug. :(