HybridZ

Any Daily Drivers Out There?

My '77 280Z just rolled over 200,000 miles on the original stock engine. I have owned the car for 10 years now and, in ten years, purchase price, insurance, fuel, maintenance, and improvements have cost me $31,000. At this point the car is totally reliable and provides my daily fun trip to and from work. Is there anyone out there that drives their V-8 Z daily and finds that it provides the same kind of reliability as I've seen so far? What's the use of having a hot rod if I can't enjoy it every day of the week, rain or shine. Comments will be greatly appreciated!!

Phantom

Guest greimann

Absolutely a V8Z can be a daily driver. I have 50,000 miles on a conversion I did in '94. Initially there were reliability issues, but that was due to my own shoddy workmanship, and/or judgement on materials and methods. Experience is a great teacher.

If you plan from the beginning that this will be a daily driver, and select the engine specifications and materials to suit that goal, then you will have a great ride.

Guys:

Thanks for your reply. Reliability will be a primary concern for me when I do this conversion and I know it will cost me extra to ensure it. I love driving my Z, http:/www.zcar.com/1999/02. It makes my daily commute fun instead of tedious.

The basic plan is the fuel injected LS-1 with the T-56 ant the 87-89 3.7:1 R200 LSD. I plan to convert my AC over to the new refrigerant at that time too along with a few consmetic touches to bring the engine bay on par with the rest of the car. At this point I'm in the cheap phase - talking. I have a few loose ends to tie up and then hope to get into the expensive phase later this summer.

Phantom

Hey Phantom

I to love driving my Z. Mine has the LS1 and 4L40E trany and has been very reliable. The LS1 in stock form can be driven as dosile or wild as you want. I just love driving around at the speed limit knowing that at any time I want to I could be at 100MPH in only a few seconds. When i first started driving it with the LS1 every kid in town wanted to race, now they just leave me be. To much fun! 2thumbs.gif

Lone Star:

I still need to get out to your place and get a peek at your ride. I am currently captive to a major front yard project that my bride of almost 30 years has deemed must be completed before my sons wedding on June 8th. She wants to put on the dog for all the relatives. How are you with mortar & stone? I'm willing to train. Chuckle - I'll take a box end and a socket any day to a cement mixer & a trowel.

Phantom