HybridZ

1972 Datsun 240z 383 stroker

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board and this manufacturer but im interested in taking on this setup for big power and fast numbers.

My plan:

600 hp 383 stroker

4 speed muncie manual tranny

rear end i will need your help on a decision

Suspension you know best

installation BIG HELP JTR book but need hybridz help

Chassis Your suggestions

Well i would like to know how much this setup should cost to make run strong with no damage to the chassis or suspension.

This will be a road driven street/drag car.

Im hoping to dip into the low 10's with this set up.

I will tub the rear wheel wells and put large drag e/ts.

Just installation and fabrication plz.

Thanks in advance.

Tell me if my dream is too far fetched.

Hello and welcome to Hybrid Z. Probably everything you mention has been covered before on this site in the past, if you want quick answers a good way is to use the search function. Type in what you're looking for and pick the category (example: "T56" / drivetrain). You'll find tons of info this way. Good luck! :D

Guest Anonymous

Are you going to bracket race or heads up racng when you go to the strip. If you are going to bracket race you won' be competitive with the four speed. Any way with that kind of power you'll need a Ford nine inch, a twelve bolt GM, or a Dana 60. A Ford nine inch with after market axles a noduar center section with all the assembly extra's will run around 1500 bucks. A twelve bolt will be a little cheaper but weaker and a Dana 60 is the strongest but probably the same price a a built nine inch.

Six hundred horse power out of a 383 is not a street strip engine. If you haven't bought the 383 and want 600 ponies a 434 would be a better selection. It is the same demensions but a lot easiier to get streetable 600 horses. You can also figure on putting an eight point roll bar in. If you go to the strip you wont get more than one pass before they ask you to leave if you get that. You can go to NHRA.com and see the rest of the stuff you're going to have to have.

I think a four link is the best option on suspension. A ladder bar will mount up by the front of the seat , a little bit behind the trans. Even a four link you are going to have to shorten the bars about half. Good luck, just something to think about.

Guest Anonymous

Do you think $30000 CDN could do the whole set up. Engine car suspension the whole nine?

The car is 2000 and not included in the 30

Guest Anonymous

You think I could build my monster for that?

The engine tranny and rear end is $15000 leaving another 15000 for cosmetics and fabrication

let's say 10000 on wheels tires paint and suspension

another 2000 on interior roll cage and racing seats (sparco)

and custom fabrication?

Could it be done?

Guest Anonymous

The car will be a weekend toy with occasional road racing and a little drag racing. Not built specifically for that....i wanna MEAN FAST AS **** CAR THAT CAN REALLY TAKE THE BEATING IM THROWING AT IT.

Guest Anonymous

Would I be better off bringing the car down to someone in the States and let them do all the work for me? as in installation and build up with my 30 g's?

Man, with some cost effect penny-pinching, the money could be spent on even better parts or custom work. Ahhh, it must be nice to have a latent $30K just lying around...

Someday, it may happen...but I hope I'm the one with the $$$$$$$ :D

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I am interested in allowing someone else to do some of the fabrication, but it would have to be done to my specs and wants/needs.

What do i have to do to make the chassis hold for that power.

Also, good place to get parts to do this swap?

Will the tranny match the datsun original location?

79camaro,

You can check out this site to get an idea of what your car may look like after the work and what you might need to do. He has a page on his retrofit and mods to the chassis. Other than the stuff he has done, our cars are pretty freakin sturdy cars, being unibody, and compact. :-D

http://ratsun.com

Also, heres a currently active thread going on about chassis re enforcement.

http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7225&highlight=

Guest Anonymous

Let me get this straight, are you drag racing or are you street racing. You sound like an eighteen year old and I'd bet you have already been to see To Fast and To Furious or what ever is that movie is called. You had better win some bucks when you go out or how else are you going to justify burning up that race gas as that is what you are going to run. Do you have a picture of that 800 horse Z are you just computer racing.

Gee Grumpy, I like the whole notion of a 427ci SBC, but why screw with things by adding nitro? Seems like plenty enough power for all kinds of trouble as is :>) Me? I like your ideas of 383 = plenty HP and cheap to boot (relatively). I've already experienced too many ponies in my Z-car (for what I really wanted) and have subsequently pulled horses out. The current incarnation at about 275 horses is too tame and she's gonna get a new motor. Likely that 383 we spoke of.

Then again, I probably wouldn't have listened either - the first time . . . when I was still young and stupid. I now have a few gray hairs, so a real 350-375 horse is good enough for me. Asides from that, I occasionally take Lulu out just for the fun, i.e. when going to the post office or the bank - perish the thought at 450 horses!

Pictures of Lulu at http://www.modelsport.com/gto