HybridZ

Solar Battery Charger

TomoHawk

I think I will get a solar battery charger to keep the battery up all summer. What's a decent unit that's not really expensive? I don't think I will be needing a high charge rate. Where is a good place to connect it? I thought maybe soldering the wires onto a blown fuse then plug into the fuse box.

Didn't find anything at Harbor Freight.

JC Whitney had one:

http://jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=5458&BQ=jcw2

BTW, You can't just plug it in the cigarette lighter plug. the Ign. switch has to be turned on (not good to leave your keys in the ign. & car turned on) You have to wire it into an active circuit on the fuse panel.

Most cars (including all the early Z cars) have the cigarette lighter wired hot so it will work with the ignition key off. Therefore, a solar charger can simply be plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.

I agree with Greimann - why not use an Optima battery instead. They can sit on a shelf for three years and not discharge significantly. Of course, you can't have some device in the car the constantly uses and significant Amps.

Most cars (including all the early Z cars) have the cigarette lighter wired hot so it will work with the ignition key off. Therefore' date=' a solar charger can simply be plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.

I agree with Greimann - why not use an Optima battery instead. They can sit on a shelf for three years and not discharge significantly. Of course, you can't have some device in the car the constantly uses and significant Amps.[/quote']

Ahhh, but some of us have marginal to good batteries and not $150 for the Optima. $20 for a solar charger sounds good to me :-D

Am I cheap? Maybe. I just like spending money on the shiny stuff :D

Davy

• 2 weeks later...

why not just get a pair of the larger aligator clips (like the kind found on higher-wattage car inverters) and snap them right to the battery? It sounds like it won't be driven much so it wouldn't cause a problem not having the wires more permanantly attached.

Also, I believe VW includes a solar charger with alot of their new cars, and consequently, there are alot of VW solar charges for sale on ebay. AFAIK they can be had for under $20 and should do the trick with only minor modifications.

• 1 month later...

:2thumbs: SCORE! Nice job--totally the way to go.

As a side note, I thought that my Z had a short in it, but when I took the time to clean up the terminals and add a second and thrid ground strap, I was pleasantly shocked to find that the car started more easily and cured the 'problem.' However, if the issue ever does raise it's ugly head again, the solar charger seems like a good idea.

Davy

I got my solar charger from HF for 10 bucks. It kept the battery in the ZXT charged while it sat for 3 weeks waiting to get sold. It used to be dead after 10 days!

Also, Summit has the Optima batteries on sale now for $90!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

optimas suposively survive more starts than conventional batteries so not only does it end up costing the same in the end but it holds a charge longer and doesnt eat away at the car.