HybridZ

Well Should I Really Do It Please Advise

Well this is the question,? I have A brand new freshly

BUILT small block Chevy 400 and TH350

Transmission. And I would like to install it in my 1976

280Z that I've owned since 1990 and have only driven it

10000 miles in 11 years "because it is always broken".

So does anyone think I should do this install? By the way

I consider myself a very good mechanic -- fabricator.

Thank You All

I've had HOURS of fun reading all of your posts

Best Regards Jon

Guest Anonymous

i have the same year car and i will tell you this. if you like the feel of raw power and alot of it and still have good handling then do it. i would op for the t56 or the 700r4 tranny though. i was installing a th350 till i figured the rpms on the highway. i drove mine with the straight 6 and now with the v8. i will never go back. just my .02 cents worth. by the way some say it kills the gas mileage. no it doesn't. depends on how big a motor you build.

Fuel mileage not only depends on the size of the motor....but more importantly/the size-weight of your foot!

The reason I chose the 280Z is because I owned one in college & enjoyed how the Z hugged the road while driving it; when I happened along the JTR manual (Didnt own a Z at that time) is when I chose to locate & buy my current Z.

I could only imagine the fun/enjoyment of driving a Z w/doubled the performance & dependability of the SBC....no more Inline6 mechanical failure/Nissan Overcharges at the parts counter!

The dependability of an american V8 (Ford or Chevy) w/the sleek design/handling of a Z is what pushed me in this direction. I havent begun my swap but I have done the entire suspension/steering.

As my budget allows I will do the V8. If your heart is not in it/then dont do it! Its not like changing spark plugs. It's gonna take more than just a weekend to do. But if you want a car that cant be touched on the street by the other ricer's & most any other street rods then go for it! But be steadfast....it takes a lot of planning & dont rush into it.

Definately go w/the engine & definately use an OD trans (Standard or Auto). If you use a 3spd Auto.....At 65mph w/the stock 3.5 rear, 190/70/14's at 1.1:1 ratio you'll be at 3123rpm's. With a .7overdrive 700r4 trans that same 65mph's will put you at only "2208" rpm's....what a huge difference an overdrive will make & less wear-n-tear on the engine.

I dont know about you but my factory stock 4spd puts me at 3400rpm's at 70mph & in the Texas Summers my floorboard really heats up; my A/C works but does nothing for the bottom of my foot......GET AN O'DRIVE TRANS/You'll definately appreciate it!

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited March 25, 2001).]

A 400 is an excellent choice for these cars. If you're still deciding then before you so much as turn a wrench head over to www.jagsthatrun.com and pick up one of their books. Read it cover to cover a couple of times and absorb what it will take to put that motor in. Once you've done that you'll be much better equipped to decide what to do.

Lastly, I'll echo what everyone else has said - get an OD trans. I prefer a manual myself but that's up to you.

Guest Anonymous

I agree, a overdrive is definately the way to go. If you want a auto, a 700r, or modded 200r would be the route. At around 70, mine with a T56 manual is loafing along at about 1850-1900 revs. Good for mileage, and well you (and I at this point) can only imagine the top end. smile.gif

Lone

------------------

http://datsunv8z.virtualave.net/index.html

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited March 25, 2001).]

Get your manual directly from Jags That Run. My cousin ordered one for my birthday (less than a month ago) and got it in the mail in two days! Incredible service.

------------------

Scott Ferguson

1976 260-Z, surrounded by an ever-growing cloud of V8 parts...

I will Be doing the swap jtr book will be here 3-30-2001 and i will go with my B&M th350 for now it has never been in a car. Thanks for leading me to Jags That Run.

if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer') {

if (navigator.appVersion.substring(0,1) < 4) {

document.write("

http://members.aol.com/babyblu1vw/images/myback.jpg'>");

}

else {

document.write("

");

document.write("

document.write(" BODY { background: url(http://members.aol.com/babyblu1vw/images/myback.jpg') }");

document.write("");

document.write("");

}

}

else { //Default to Netscape settings.

document.write("

http://members.aol.com/babyblu1vw/images/myback.jpg'>");

}

Pete, my 383 balancer is about 6.5inches tops. I've got comfortable room between it and the crossmember - no worries. If you're using stock stuff then yeah, the 400 balancer is a pig I guess smile.gif Note that the crate motors like the ZZ4 have ot have their balancers swapped out too.

According to Mike Knell's Jags that Run book, the 400 is NOT a good candidate for use in a 1st gen. Z.

Since the 400 is externally balanced.

It might fit in the "Scarab" position, but due to the large flywheel and large harmonic balancer diameters it will interfere with the TC rod mounts and the crossmember if mounted in the "lower set-back" / JTR position.

Better look for a 327 or 350 instead.

Couple of ways around the 400 external balance issue:

1) Have the crank internally balanced with "heavy metal" (best way, but expensive - probably only worthwhile on an aftermarket steel piece)

2) Get a smaller external balancer that's made for use on a SBC. There are some around that have removeable (read changeable) weights for this purpose.

Ask any of the 383 guys here and they'll tell you how they used a 400 stroke crank in the JTR position.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

Glad to hear the conversion worked so well for you. After some initial teething problems mine is getting closer to being pretty darn reliable. I love the point and shoot power, no foot to the floor and wait, just roll into it a bit and your there, roll into it alot and your past there and headed further there. :D

Regards,

Lone

In your early posting you indicated that the original car had been a maintenance nightmare. How has it been in the 10,000 miles you've driven on it since the V-8 conversion. Any problems? What specifically? I'm planning conversion and am driving a stock 280Z that has been phenomenally reliable for the past 10 years and 100,000 miles. It has over 200,000 on an untouched engine at this point.

Thanks.

Phantom

Mine was a fuel injection NIGHTMARE, the previous owner DID NOT TAKE CARE OF IT AT ALL. Sense the swap I have not had a single break down, the only times the car has been down is from me changing things. Like I have changed The heads and intake and now Im going to change the cam as soon as I figure out which one Im going to go with.

Jon Peterson

Jon;

Thaks for the feedback. I understand the fuel injection nightmare part. There are a couple sensors that can really screw it up big time if they get a little bit corroded or their connections get corroded. It took me 8 months to track down and completely cure an over rich condition I was running. Turned out it was two connectors that were buried in my wiring harness.

Car always kept running but fuel economy really sucked for a while.

Anyway - it's good to know yours has been there for you since the engine transplant. Mine is a daily driver that gets me to and from work so I need the reliability.

Thanks again,

Phantom