HybridZ

MY CAR WON'T WORK

IT WAS UNDERNEATH THE CAR THAT IT CAUGHT ON FIRE. I THINK IT WAS BECAUSE MY GRANDPA TRYED TO TURN IT ON AND KEEP GIVING IT GAS AND TURNING THE KEY AND IT STARTED TO SMOKE UNDERNEATH SO I USED A FIRE EX. TO PUT IT OUT

THANKS

ALEX

is there any way of testing the starter to see if i need a new one without having to buy a new starter. how long will a starter last from factory? its still the same one it came with out of the factory

thanks

alex

Guest timhypo

Even though your symptoms don't really seem to me to point to a starter, if you pull a starter and take it to your neighborhood Autozone or Pepboys they'll test it for free.

I would start troubleshooting by pulling a spark plug and hanging it about 1/4" from the valve cover by the wire. Have someone turn the engine over (don't touch the sparkplug or you'll get shocked) and see if a spark jumps from the sparkplug to the valve cover. If you see the spark when they turn the engine over, you *prolly* have a fuel delivery problem.

Did the car run recently?

Even though your symptoms don't really seem to me to point to a starter' date=' if you pull a starter and take it to your neighborhood Autozone or Pepboys they'll test it for free.

I would start troubleshooting by pulling a spark plug and hanging it about 1/4" from the valve cover by the wire. Have someone turn the engine over (don't touch the sparkplug or you'll get shocked) and see if a spark jumps from the sparkplug to the valve cover. If you see the spark when they turn the engine over, you *prolly* have a fuel delivery problem.

Did the car run recently?[/quote']

it ran a couple months before that and we had a tune up done, a new clucth installed, and it was working but then not even a week later it wouldn't start and it was the alteraner so we put a new one, but it still wouldn't start and we found out it was the battery but when my dad would be driving it would just stop and he would have to keep turning it back on

thanks

alex

Guest bobnagga

so then its not the starter.

check the throttle and idle air assembly. CHeck the timing. Make sure that the plug wires are on right... stuff like that.