HybridZ

Schneider springs and retainers with stock cam?

Guest jt240z

Guest jt240z

Has anyone used the MSA (Schneider) spring and retainer set with the stock lash pads. The reason I'm asking is that I noticed that the pads that came with my MSA cam set (for another car) were a little bit larger in diameter then the stock 120 pads. I asked if they had 120 pads, but MSA said they only start at 140 from Schneider. My plan is to buy new springs and retainers for my turbo motor using the stock cam, pads and rocker arms. The springs I have are weak and are giving me some float at around 4800 RPMs. What do you guys think?

If you are using a stock cam, I would think the stock springs and lash pads are what you need. If I follow correctly, you are using a stock cam, and just have the Schneider springs and pads lying around. I'm sure the reason the lash pads are bigger than stock is Schneider's cams are regrinds with a smaller base circle - you need taller pads to bring the follower geometry back to stock.

You VE problably goes down with stiffer Schinder valve springs

VE shouldn't change unless the valve lift/timing is changed (possible but not likely).

I think you are thinking of specific power output, which probably will go down slightly, due to the added friction.

Guest jt240z

Let me just restate that the springs that I have right now have over 125K on them and I'm getting valve float at around 4800 RPMs. The issue is NOT the height of the lash pads, but the diameter of the pads. Has anyone used the MSA springs with a stock cam and lash pads? I have a set on hand and can buy the Schneider springs for much less then the stock springs from my Nissan dealer anyway.

Any losses in efficiency do to added friction or what not are irrelevant comparted to the loss of power and potential damage due to valve float and piston contact. I just want to ensure that the springs are in good order. My understanding is that the stock cam should be good to about 5200 or so RPMs before power begins to drop off. Is this correct?

As long as the diameter of the retainer is not so much larger that it can no longer properly retain the pad, I don't see that as being an issue.

The thickness could be an issue, however. There are at least three different retainers for different ranges of lash pad thickness. If your retainer was not intended for a .120 pad, then the pad could be riding too low inside the retainer. This can result in the rocker riding on the retainer instead of the pad. Check for interference between the rocker and the retainer through a full revolution of the cam (two engine revs). If there is no interference, then you should not have a problem (assuming that your wipe pattern is still okay).

yo - As I recall, VE is simply a measure of the amount of air that actually gets drawn into a cylinder divided by the cylinder's swept volume. For instance, at 100%VE, a cylinder whose swept volume is 1 liter actually draws in 1 liter during it's intake stroke. At 50%VE, that same cylinder would only draw in 0.5 liters. VE is not a single number for an engine - rather, it is a function of RPM (possibly also manifold pressure).