HybridZ

JTR??

snork

I've been visiting this site for a while and was wondering, what the hell does JTR mean? Plus, can anybody give me a quick history lesson on a Scarab(i spell it right?), and does a small block hinder the Z's ability to corner and drift like it does from the factory? I would like more power than what the factory gave me, but still beable to keep my handling.

Jags That Run

The most basic comparison is this: The Scarab 'kits' place the engine higher and further forward in the engine compartment. Having driven one, I felt pretty uncomfortable with how it affected the handling characteristics. The car was definitely 'nose heavy' and didn't corner as well as a stock L6.

The JTR kit places the engine further back and lower within the engine compartment and gives the car better balance. With aluminum heads, waterpump, etc. and moving the battery back to the rear of the car you can achieve almost 50/50 front to rear weight distribution and get the car within 125 lbs of stock weight.

If you are considering the swap, buy the JTR book.

No Kits for the Ford motor, or the GM LS1. But don't let that stop you. I can think of at least 4 guys here that have done the Ford 302 swap and another that just finished the LS1. The 302 is a nice motor for the Z. The 302 is lighter than the GM 350 but not as light as the LS1. Even if you go with an all iron 350 and set it in the JTR position handling will not suffer. Traction will be your new problem. :D