HybridZ

Air compressor decisions

Len

At Harbor freight they are selling a no-name brand (their in-house brand) air compressor for $129.99 specks as follows:

120volt 60Hz. 4.5 Hp 21 gallon 2 capacitor motor operates ;

at 115psi 4.0scfm delivered 3.2 cfm

at 90psi 4.4scfm delivered 3.5 cfm

at 40psi 11.1scfm delivered 8.8 cfm

I know "you get what you pay for". Also I haven't checked around very much to get educated on prices of a good air compressor that would run body and paint tools without having to wait for the tank to recharge!

I have an old campbell hausfield 1 1/2 hp looks about a 10 or 15 gallon that really doesn't cut it when it comes to running my tools.

So thought at $129.99 this could do the job.

What do you guys think? Any other reccomendations or input would help!

Len

i hope you are planning on spending more than 130 dollars. Body and paint tools (da, gun, mud hog, air board, ect.) take quite a bit of air to run. Count on getting a 2 stage compressor. I used my father-inlaw's 5hp/ 30 gallon tank compressor to do my truck bed(rhino lined). My da would kick the compressor on every 3.5 minutes. I ended up doing alot of hand sanding so i wouldn't burn up the compressor. So far the cheapest compressor i found to suit my needs was 750 bucks. dont forget to get a good drier for the compressor and air tool oil.

Guys

Its a two day sale; today is last day;

"central pneumatic"

oil lubricated for long life

4 1/2 peak hp etc. etc. as I mentioned above...

Its Lot # 47065 originally $199.99 on sale $169.99 Now $129.99 (talk about a come on :roll: ) But if it doesn't do what I need not worth it!

Believe me it won't sit and collect dust!

I've bought the cheap harbor freight tools 17 1/2 body sander looks like 5 cfm @ 90psi (so may have to wait a little for tank to recharge) looks like my max usage will be the 6" dual action sander rated at 16cfm 0.45m/min.(don't know what that means figure 16 cfm @ 90psi which is really high usage!).

I could possibly even tie my old compressor together with this new one when operating the 6" sander.

I really want to make sure it will take care of a HVLP spraygun. Talking to a guy he says you need a consistent 50psi (don't know the cfm of a spraygun but I think at that low press. it will do the job.

Oh yea I called the guy today he said he will extend sale till monday before noon. As I said before if it won't do job no need to buy it just wait. Except I really don't want to pay $750 for a compressor. Currently my son and I are trying our luck at bodywork on his 70 firebird. Then spray acid etch on bare metal then primer then paint. In future I'll be painting my other cars along with bodywork over the years.

I could kick myself because I remember a good discussion on compressors about a year or two ago. Tried a search but couldn't find it would only go back to around march. I'll try to figure search and see if I can find it if I'm lucky.

Len-

Take a look at the air tools you now own and the air tools that you want to buy. Look at the air consumption numbers.... very important!

I looked thru the air tools that Harbour Frieght has on sale today, most need at least 4.0 cfm at 90psi. It seems to me that air compressor you are looking at will need to work non-stop to power up most dual action sanders, most impact wrenchs, most disc sanders, most air snips, etc.

Air compressors of decent output are always a tough item to find in the economy range. SPIIRIT's Porter Cable unit sounds like the minimum for sure. While it is about $90 more than the "deal", that "deal" will probably frustrate you.

You may want to check out some tool rental places in close range to your home. often you can find some decent used stuff for sale. If you are likely to not be near the garage during the week to work on the car, maybe consider renting a hefty unit for a weekend or two while you get some of the big sanding projects out of the way.

Good luck

SPIRIIT

I believe i had the gauge set around 65-75 pounds at the tank. i was using an undercoating gun(cheapie) and didnt have a gauge at the gun, so i had to guess. pluss i was using a 50 foot hose. i also had the ford emblem cut out on gerber paper. after i shot the lining on, i put the gerber paper down and sprayed the emblem with that colored bed liner in a can stuff. came out pretty good. ended up doing flames on my tool box with the left over colored stuff(red, white and blue). have pics somewhere

Thanks for the post Racer

You listed one of the posts I was looking for!

I talked a bit with a guy at Sherwin Williams, he mentioned as a first time painter use Acrilic Enamel its more forgiving. You don't need to go bare metal just lightly sand the original paint and that's the best primer. If need to go bare metal on dents etc. Spray bare metal with acid etch (if smaller than a coffee lid can use spray can type acid etch) then go with a primer sealer like E2A28 jet seal.

For the nose of my son's 70 firebird use a V6V299 flex agent (since those noses are plastic).

Racer what are some of the names of the "cheap import" HVLP gravity feed sprayguns with the 1.3 or 1.5 nozzel you use? Also what is a decent all around HVLP gun you would reccomend?

Oh yea its been a long weekend! Finally decided on a good compressor. I bought a Max Air 60 gallon 5 hp. 3 cylinder 18.5 CFM @ 100psi. 230 volt single stage. Price $629.

I knew that if I didn't do it right the first time it would always haunt me. You know like putting a 4 cylinder in a Z car :shock: It will get you to point B from point A but may have to wait awhile! Same with the Compressor!

So I went all out. The max air I bought at Steve's wholesale looked like the best bang for the buck.

Yea! Last night I sat in a chair infront of that big beautiful yellow compressor drank a few beers. Made some compressor sounds! Life is good! Until I went into the house and explained to the wife why I really needed to spend $629 for a compressor when I already had one (my 1 1/2 hp campbell hausfield portable I've had for 17 years!). When we haven't installed the oak flooring we talked about. .......:oops:But the money is there to do that to!

They don't understand. I'm sure glad I make the money in the house. So I don't answer to anyone except myself! Which can be tough sometimes. I'm harder on me than anyone I know! Otherwise life could really be uncomfortable!

I have friend who does a LOT of auto-body work and he swears by DeVILBISS paint guns. (HVLP or otherwise)

Are far as compressors go some things I've been told to look for...

Large reservoir tank. 60 to 80gal min.

--- Less pump cycling = Longer pump Life.

Two stage pump. With cooler.

--- Higher air pressure. (175psi)

--- Higher Air Flow (17CFM @ 175psi)

--- Dryer air out-put = Longer tool life & Better paint jobs.

--- Lower Pump RPM = Longer Pump Life.

--- Less pump cycling = Longer pump Life.

Oil System. (Avoid Oil-Free Pumps!)

--- Longer Pump Life

Magnetic Starter.

--- Will save you from replacing the pressure switch many times.

I am very seriously considering one of these Air compressors

at $1000.00 it is expensive, but you get more than you would get

with other similarly priced compressors.

Who said anything about a one shot deal. I will use mine to disaasemble the car, grind, sand, media blast, paint, and reassemble the car.

Plus any other home projects that come up. Example: This fall I plan to overhaul and re-paint my lawn-tractor.

Most of these car projects take years.

Why buy a decent socket wrench set when Visegrips will do the same job for less.

Why stick your self with substandard equipment that will barely do the job and won't last.

Thanks for the information on the sprayguns. I'll check into those Advantage sprayguns, DeVilbiss to for that matter.

Spirit, you don't realize this compressor is part of a larger grander plan! ITS MY DESTINY!

But seriously I've had this in the works for sometime. Its more than a one shot thing. I've got plans.

Yea I hear that Metallicar. I'll be explaining that for the 6 hour drive to Littlerock AR. for my son's Sub regional soccer tournment this weekend!