HybridZ

Rotisserie

Guest CarGuyChuck

Guest CarGuyChuck

I was just wondering how to build a rotisserie? I have a '79 280 ZX that's sitting out in the yard right now, covered with a tarp, and on four jack stands to bring it up about two feet. It's all good, but I finally got the engine, trans, axle, etc. out and I want to be able to flip the car to weld in new floor pans and do all the work without lying on my back all day. Just wondering how much is needed and how much it costs, either to do it yourself or to just buy one. Thanks for all the help.

heres a crappy picture of my stands

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=823

There easy to make, took about 2 hours after work with "scrap" metal from the shop. I put mine on casters which has been great for moving it around. I'm doing the work in a friends garage. With the casters I'm able to turn the car on its side and roll it against the wall to get it out of the way, I'm sure he appreciates that, otherwise he probably would have thrown me out already!

Guest CarGuyChuck

Dude! I'm so going with the engine stand method.. I already have one stand, so it would be cheaper for me to just do it that way. I have to ask though... is it durable? I would have no problem welding the stands together with a beam or two so they could still be able to roll..

Guest Zachb55

well, a normal lets say V8 probly weighs what like 500-600 pounds? so if the shell could take it you could probably use only one engine stand and it would be able to hold it (ok so the weight distribution would be a little off) but the point is that 2 stands able to hold probly near 700 pounds each will definately do the job and be very durable. just make sure your stands arent oily, you dont want stuff like that getting on a bare shell cause you could kiss your paintjob goodbye if you dont clean it off quick!

-Zach

Here is a pic of mine on the rotisserie

album_pic.php?pic_id=1028

I got a bit carried away and built a fully adjustable unit. The two engine stand method is the easiest way and I have seen people who did not connect the two stands together. Mine was on casters and never felt unstable when rotating it so I'm sure you will be fine.