HybridZ

Phantom Coolant

New LS1 install. Runs great. No overheating problems at all - runs a solid 180°F on the temp gauge continually. BUT - the coolant in the overflow bottle keeps disappearing. I've filled the bottle to the operating level three times now. The fluid disappears in about 20 minutes of operating time. No obvious leaks. No wet spots on or under the engine. No spraying hoses, no drippy bottle, no puddle under the car.

?????????????????

I drove to work this morning and checked the level when I first got here and it looks like the level stayed constant while I was driving in. I'll check it at lunch and see if it disappears during cool-down.

Good idea - but new heater core and control valve and dry floors. Already thought about that. Also, absolutely no smell of coolant anywhere that would indicate a leak. I'm thinking maybe the engine had some air pockets in the coolant passages when it was first filled and they are working out of it and leaving room for coolant to be sucked in during cool down? Just don't want to overlook anything. No engine warning light and engine temp gauge still rock solid on 180°F once it warms up.

It could be that you still have some air pockets. Or it could be just like an old car i used to drive, everytime i made a left turn it would spill out coolant thru the overflow tube off the reservoir. I didnt notice it till one day i drove into a circular drive fast and stop and notice coolant coming out of the right side where the tank sat. The tank was never overfilled, it was always on the line but it was enough to spill out and make me think i was burning coolant. :?:

I'm sticking with the air pocket theory. Yesterday the overflow reservoir pulled down only an inch after setting all morning at work. Then when I drove it home that night and checked as soon as I shut down it was back up the inch. It appears to have stabilized - up an inch when hot, down the inch when cold. I'm all happy again now.

I know the LT1 in my Trans Am is a bitch to get the air pockets out of so I would bet the LS1 is just as bad. The LT1 has bleeders in a couple of spots so you might check and see if yours does for future reference.

Where do you have the coolant vent lines routed? There's a line under the intake that normally routes thru the TB and then back to the radiator. I have mine going directly to the upper radiator hose (bypassing the TB).

If you don't have the vent line plumbed, then the heads won't cool properly.