HybridZ

Turbo head getting rebuilt...got questions

Jwink25

Getting my Turbo head rebuilt. Is there anything I can have them do to add a few more HP...without having to pay to much more? (as if HP is ever cheap! :( )

I am gasket matching the ports myself. They are doing a valve job, cleaning, and checking the head, ect.

Thanks,

Jason

Guest JAMIE T

I've not ever taken a L-series haed apart, but, most power is found under the valve. Or, "the pocket", or, "Bowl" as it is sometimes called. When I port a set of heads, I usually spend the most time in that area. Streamline the valve guides to a tear drop shape. open the bowl up so that there are no abrupt turns. Smooth out the short side radius. Hope this helps.

I got charged a good amount. :roll:

I got rolled for new turbo rockers, and I sprung for a new cam and valve springs (Schneider turbo cam, single spring). New lash pads, reground the valves and seats, new guides and seals (I believe), resurfaced the head, and just the minor valve unshrouding work set me back about $1500.

It is costing me only $110. They are tearing it apart, cleaning it, doing a valve job, checking the deck surface, milling it if needed, everything short of replacing valves, cam, and springs.

Having a crack in the front timing chain area fixed as well; for an extra $60.

The head came off a low milage car that was wrecked. So it doesn't really need anything other than that small crack fixed. It's just that while it is in the shop getting toren apart, to be cleaned, and have the crack fixed...might as well have them check the rest of the head, and get a valve job.

I am having them give me the head after its been disassembled so I can do some mild porting myself. I'll gasket match too.

Hope I don't screw it up, :)

Jason

Could I just smooth things out a bit? Kinda just polish it' date=' instead of removing much metal? Will that gain me anything on a turbo head?

Thanks,

Jason[/quote']

Personally, I wouldn't touch it. The ports already match the gasket, it's the intake that needs grinding to match. You won't make much, if any noticeable improvement, and you risk making it worse. But that's just my opinion.

So, the exhaust side is ok then? Is there anything that needs to be removed there? It looked to me that maybe the exhaust ports could be enlargened some? I'll take another look at it when I get it back tomorrow .

thanks,

Jason