HybridZ

what 6 should i get?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

im having a hard time deciding on what 6 cylinder engine id like to get, im going to get a 6, but what type i dont know... i was thinking the L28, or maybe the Vg30dett but, no idea... maybe even a v6 of a different kind but than again i dont know, so anyone wnat to put their two cents in on what engine they think it should be that would help a bunch.

Guest Anonymous

well actualy im looking for 250-320 hp, probably at most for the engine $1500-$3000 depending on how long i wait, i was actualy looking at rotorary engines, they are half the weight and give tons of hp, but they dont last as long reliable but the life of it isnt as long... and ive heard they are a b**** to work on... but with that said plz give me your opinion, and i plan on making it a daily driver, plus id like something to shut the ricers up you know the civics and acruas... with a wing on them when their car is a FWD.... not cool, i basicly want to put them in their place, aswell as having a daily driver

Guest Anonymous

ye thats one of my main choices, but can you get 300 hp out of the L28et without putting a turbo or super on it? im trying to avoid those...

Guest Anonymous

i just made myself look like a fool, but hey its ok, im new to the car scene, im a motorcross guy, but ye, the L28et is already turboed? or did i goof again?

Guest eric-z

yeah, thats what the t stands for in the name(280zxt). I agree with SleeperZ, 280zxt would be easiest/cheapest for 250-350hp.

eric

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnny1913

For $1500-$3000 you don't have many options. Yeah, a 2jz-gte would be nice, but the engine alone will cost more than your budget, not including fabrication to get the engine in there. With the L28et nothing needs to be fabricated. It bolts right up to the stock mounts and it will be the only real option for you. I think I've heard of a rare v-8 conversion that was done real cheap for about $3000, but most people have more than that in their conversions.

-Nate <johnny1913>

'72 240z

• 4 weeks later...
well actualy im looking for 250-320 hp, probably at most for the engine $1500-$3000 depending on how long i wait, i was actualy looking at rotorary engines, they are half the weight and give tons of hp, but they dont last as long reliable but the life of it isnt as long... and ive heard they are a b**** to work on... but with that said plz give me your opinion, and i plan on making it a daily driver, plus id like something to shut the ricers up you know the civics and acruas... with a wing on them when their car is a FWD.... not cool, i basicly want to put them in their place, aswell as having a daily driver

If you want to go cheap forget the rotary. Big $$ especially in the HP range you are talking. Yah rotary's are light but there are light V-6's out there too. I'm putting a 2000 maxima engine in my RX and it is as light or lighter than the N/A rotary that came out of it. I'm telling you that nissan engine is all aluminum. The rotary has 3 thick pieces of cast iron in it. Oh an parts cost a premium for the rotary.

Don't get me wrong. I like rotaries. Been driving one for the last 9 years. Just the price of parts is starting irritate me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
For $1500-$3000 you don't have many options. .... I think I've heard of a rare v-8 conversion that was done real cheap for about $3000...

Ah, dont discourage the guy. Not everyone buys their engine in a box. If you find an engine that you want and dont go too exotic and build it up yourself you can easily fit in that budget (now, I am assuming that your budget is not including the cost of the Z) :wink:

In terms of 6 cylinder engines some of the more commonly talked about are from the 280ZXT(l28et),the 84-89 300ZX V6, supra machIII (7mgte), supra mach IV (2jz-gte)and skyline cars(rb26) (there are obviously more). The last two choices provide absolutely amazing engines, and off course are anything but cheap. I personally find the 300zx engine unimpressive for the amount of work required to do the swap and I have always been biased towards staight six configurations (the newer nissan V6's are much nicer). The 7mgte engine from the supra is a great and cheap straight six turbo engine which can easilly put out 300 hp (with stock motor, computer, injectors..) in a very reliable smooth manner, it revs nicely and breaths well (as long as you don't use the factory intercooler for higher boost). The only problem is that the swap is not a very easy one, so it takes time, skill and patience, but not that much money (relatively speaking). This brings us to the 280zxt/l28et swap which is by far the easiest swap since it bolts right in. Adapting the harness from the 280zxt into the 240 is also relatively easy and many of us have experience with it. If you add an intercooler you will be able to get into the 250-300hp range easilly(you get get much more, but it will require some more money since it would have to be reasonably modified from stock injection system..). the engine is not as smooth and does not have as broad a power band as the supra one (and the supra engine is more powerful for the same amount of mods as the ZXT), but it will be much much easier to do and should be able to put a grin on your face every time the boost goes up and up and up :twisted:

So, I cast my biased vote along with sleeperZ and Eric-Z for the l28et as the best cheap and reliable way to achieve the250-300hp range with a 6cylinder engine.

For a car to beat the racers and a daily driver the l28et, which comes out of a 280zx turbo would be enough power, especially if you add a intercooler and boost. I must say though I would love to have a twin cam inline six twinturbo or single turbo toyota motor in my z, I just love the toyota twin cam motors.