HybridZ

do these headlights work and fit on a 280Z?

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

ya i need to get this car SOME WHAT done before i leave to Texas....

i wanna do alot with my dad, and get the car running.....good :D

so would those work and would i need a different bulb or not?

thanks

Guest ON3GO

why relays? i cant just wire the light right to a switch with it wired into a Hot wire..

im always confused when ppl talk about wiring and relays.

hehe

if your going to a bigger bulb (in terms of wattage) than your putting more load on the factory 20+ year old wiring. Your asking for a fire...or some very hot wires at the least. as resistance in the wire increases...thermal output does the same.

Running a relay with new wires will keep the wires nice and cool, as well as keep resistance low (low resistance, brighter lights) (in simple terms)

Those are not true HIDs just HID look. Im telling you now that those bulbs are crap. do yourself a favor and but some Hella H4 conversions. they are about 30 bucks more, but the quality is well worth it, I have a set on each of my cars, and I have yet to burn a bulb (longest set is 4 years so far)

Im not running the biggest H4 you can get, but instead only about 60watts. still plenty bright, and much brighter than stock.

anywho...hope that helps.

Guest ON3GO

those are cheaper then one ones on Ebay!!!

im looking at the right ones right....

7" High/Low Beam 31911 $44.95

or do i have to buy other things and etc to make them work?

I bought a set from my friend and he got them off ebay. They are pretty good, more power as I think they are 80/100's. I used new relays and 12 gauge wire, oh and sockets too. They are better than stock.

Mine do not have that funky little extra light at the bottom of the bulb though. They are blue lights so if I used white lights they would be much brighter also.

Mike

yeah they are cheaper....huh.

Wonder what i was looking at to think the ebay ones were so much less?

anywho...no...it comes with bulbs and the housing. the standard Z head lamp socket will plug right in.

I wouldnt purchase them just yet, Wait to see what others on the board have to say. Im going to stand by my words though. I love the hellas.

they come with standard bulbs thought, So if you really want the blue fake HID look...they you will have to but some different bulbs. they also dont have the small city bulbs like the Ebay ones do. (city lights arent legal here anyway.)

im off to austin...during rush hour! yippie!

good luck with your stuff.

Also...some companies offer true HID conversion for H4 assemblies

such as this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33710&item=2419774350

only thing about that....the H4 housings...(along with any other cut glass lights) are not meant to be used with HID lights. true HIDs dont have cut glass....they use the back of the housing to refract the light correctly.

...somebody correct me if im wrong....

laterZ

Mike,

Installing relays is pie, dude.

There will be 4 terminals on the relay.

1 is for earth

1 is for switch positive (just use the existing hot wire that currently goes to the headlight...the main juice wire)

1 is for battery positive. Run a nice thick wire 10 gauge or thicker straight from the battery or starter (get an inline fuse holder to be on the safe side).

1 goes to the headlights. I believe I remember someone saying that Pete Paraska has a writeup on his site.

Very easy.

Tim

If you don't have ANY of the necessary supplies (relays, wire, terminals, crimping tool etc), then order from Waytekwire.com.

If you want I will look in my catalogue and give you all the necessary part numbers, if you tell what you have, or don't have...

Tim

those are cheaper then one ones on Ebay!!!

im looking at the right ones right....

7" High/Low Beam 31911 $44.95

or do i have to buy other things and etc to make them work?

No' date=' that's for a complete SINGLE headlight with ONE bulb. You have to buy two, making it 89.90 per pair. Autopal lights are much cheaper and very nearly as good. I've used both Hella and Autopal lights, and I have to say that there's not much difference between the light thrown by either brand. What you will notice is that the Autopal brand (made in India, by the way) will have a few small bubbles in the glass that you probably won't notice from more than a foot away.

The City Lights may sound like a gimmick, but they're pretty cool. If you want City Lights, http://www.autooptiks.com/front.htm carries them. If you want them cheaper, go to http://www.classicgarage.com/autbran7roun.html

Either way you go, you'll be miles ahead of sealed beams! The difference is truly astonishing.