HybridZ

Re-wiring and weight reduction

Guest gtmattz

Guest gtmattz

Hey, im getting ready to gut my 280 to get it ready for a re-paint. My question concerns the wiring harness. I am going to be installing a chev v8 and using aftermarket dash components, so I am wondering if I will be better off just making my own wiring harness or trying to save the existing one to re-use when I re-assemble her. I have also heard that building a custom wiring harness can save weight, is this true?

Guest Simon

I want to make my own, but it looks like it will take quite a bit to time and then troubleshooting to get it all working... have many people done it with great success?

I made my own completely from scratch when I was wiring up my LT1.

I am no electrical genius...it really isn't that difficult, just takes time to do it.

Once you have a good foundation (electrical center), it is really simple.

fcf02268.jpg

Trace out your wiring out on a piece of paper so that you have a 'road map' to work from. Include all of the circuits that you will need. I am running everything through relays, and I know how every circuit is wired so I can easily troubleshoot down the road.

Tim

Guest MistressMotorsports

When I completely stripped the stock wiring harness out of my 72, it weghed 11.5 lbs. Not sure how many extra wires are in a 280 with more smog, fuel injection, etc. I didn't weigh the custom harness that's in now, but maybe it saved 4 pounds or so? I don't think you can save enough to feel. However, I would think a new harness would be better than a 25 year old one. I used a Painless switch center with the switches and fuses all in one box preassembled, then did the rest of the car myself. Since my car is a race car, I didn't mind the look of a Painless box sitting on top of my tunnel. For more of a street look, I'd probably go full custom with the switches built into the dash. Wiring isn't hard as long as you pre-plan as stated above and take your time. Don't get in a hurry with making your connections or you'll be forever chasing loose connectors. There are some good books on automotive wiring which explain what gauge wire to use where, how to make reliable connections, choose fuse sizes, hook up relays, etc.

And Tim240Z, that's a beautiful piece of work. Mine doesn't look nearly that good.

Mike

Guest gtmattz

thanks guys, its still going to be a while before i have to even start thinking about wiring, my biggest reason for asking was to see if i can just rudely aputate the existing wiring to get it out of my way faster :D

so i guess 'painless' is a company that supplies auto wiring materials and components, i will have to look them up

and again, thanks :D

• 2 weeks later...
I made my own completely from scratch when I was wiring up my LT1.

I am no electrical genius...it really isn't that difficult' date=' just takes time to do it.

Once you have a good foundation (electrical center), it is really simple.

[img']http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/pdb700589d44ff39f743aaca913346ff5/fcf02268.jpg[/img]

Trace out your wiring out on a piece of paper so that you have a 'road map' to work from. Include all of the circuits that you will need. I am running everything through relays, and I know how every circuit is wired so I can easily troubleshoot down the road.

Tim

That is very tidy.

I dont suppose you are willing to share the wiring diagram?? :wink:

Please email me if you are, Im looking at doing the same thing and a base map would be of great help.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
so I am wondering if I will be better off just making my own wiring harness

After all the work I had to do in wiring my classic truck I would never try making my own wiring harness. Especially since I found a universal wiring kit for only $220 that is so cool I am going to get it and redo my wiring.

22 circuits with fuse box.

Every wire is labled every 5 inches so it is impossible to not know where the wire goes. Wires are like 15% extra in length so they will work in any vehicle.

If you are interested PM me and I will get the contact info. (It's in one of my classic trucks mags around here somewhere :? )

That is very tidy.

I dont suppose you are willing to share the wiring diagram?? :wink:

Please email me if you are' date=' Im looking at doing the same thing and a base map would be of great help.[/quote']

I am planning to put a diagram together (with MS Visio or something) when the car is painted and I put everything back together. Actually I am planning to put a manual together for my car so that I can remember all the unique belts, hoses and other custom stuff I've used, including all the wiring stuff.

Once I figured out how to wire the LT1PCM (took a long time, going pin by pin on the PCM with the Factory Service Manual), it only took me a day to sketch out the diagram and put the fuse panel together (cut the aluminum etc), and put on all the connectors on the wires and soldering everything and run the wires. I used some multiple terminal plugs from JY cars. I bought all the relays from Waytekwire.com (excellent source), but you could save some money by pulling the relays from JY cars.

Tim

The relays will power:

Horn

Turn signals

High beam

Low beam

Starter

Fan

Tail lights

Brake lights

Reverse lights (although I may not use reverse lights)

Fuel pump

Ignition

2 x extra (in case I want to add some stuff down the road).

BTW, all the red wires going to the back side of the board were eventually wired to the fuse box. The output from the relays go to the blue connector pad (yellow wires).

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used the stock wiring harness on my 75 280 and although I have had a couple of gremlins, it works well so far. Most of the problems have been with the headlight, blinker and flasher switches rather than the wiring itself. I removed 27 pounds of wire and relays etc. etc.. I'm starting to think about air conditioning though and I will probably have to start from scratch with that.