HybridZ

Update on LT1 280ZX #3

Well I got my car back from the exhaust shop tonight! He did a great job on it. It is all nice and tucked up inside the frame. I will have some pics tommorow night for your viewing pleasure. :D

As soon as he had the whole system on it blew out the passenger side header gasket :( So I am going to buy some of those copper header gaskets cause the one I had on there was for a stock LT1 manifold. I think thats why it blew out? Since the header has round ports and the gasket had D ports. They did match up very good but I thought it would work. :bonk: Thats what I get for thinking!

I am sending my computer to Street & Performance tommorow so that they can burn me a chip. It runs like crap right now with the programming from Darius's car still on there! :shock: (I bought the computer and harness from him)I should run much better when I get it back from S&S! :D

Also I think I need to ground the engine because my gauges(which are all grounded to the engine) kept working and then not working...along with my electric water pump and electric fan! :shock: I really need to make sure those work when they are supposed to!!!

Anyways I will post those pics tommorow night so you guys can tell me what you think of it! :D

Guy

Here's the pics of my exhaust system...

exhaust_1.jpg

exhaust_2.jpg

I know its not a mandrel bend system but it's still a really nice job! :D When the car is on the ground you can't even see the exhaust when you look under it! It's really tucked up nice and tight. It is a 2.25" into a Y-Pipe into 2.5" piping. I was really impressed with the work that my exhaust guy did. It costed $400 for the parts and labor. Not to bad considering it took him the whole day to do it. :D

So what do you guys think?

Guy

Yeah but from the factory it also goes into a Y-Pipe right away and then into a" 2.75" " The factory manifold connection is for a 2" pipe thats why I couldnt go any bigger than a 2.25" My exhaust guy said he could make the 2.25" work but 2.5" would not be able to fit on the stock manifold on the drivers side. It might be 3" from the Y-Pipe back but that is for an almost entire single pipe system. I think you are thinking of the LS1's those have atleast a 3" Y-Pipe into a single pipe system.

Mine is duals for over 1/2 the system and then into the Y-Pipe and over the axle into the muffler and straight out. I think it's enough. I might redo the entire system when I have custom headers made.

Guy

Well I just sent my computer to Stteet & Performance today so I should get that back within the next 2 weeks. I still have some small electrical things to do but it is almost road worthy! :D 8)

It wont be painted till the middle/end of July though. I have to save up some more money for the MSA body kit! :D And then some tires for my 17's. By then the engine should be broke in and then I can take it down to the track for some runs!

Guy

Guest greimann

That looks good, pretty much the same as my system. If your pipe size after the Y is not 3", you will eventually want to do that. A 2.5" single really corks things up.

On my IROC i was getting a weird vibration that went away after we got rid of the Y pipe and ran true dual exhaust, 2.5 from each manifold back. It was a lot better and the car just went and went and went. You might start getting a weird vibration from around the y pipe area.

looks good though, itll accent those gauge trim peices :D:lol:

Yeah I know I really wanted to do a 2.5" into Y-Pipe into 3" but my exhaust guy convinced me that this was enough. I will have to see how it all works out. :wink: I hope it doesnt make any funny vibrations or anything cause that would kinda make me mad! LOL :D

Guy