HybridZ

DAMPER QUESTION

Spiirit,

Wow, this is getting exciting since we are getting closer. OK I have to admit I am a DUMB###. I did do everything EXCEPT...let me get this straight one more time....

I remove my distributor, find TDC #1 Exhaust valve, turn the crank to set at lets say 16 degrees advanced. OK here is the big question...with my crank setting at 16 degrees advance (static timing), I would then insert the distributor gear with rotor pointing at the #1 plug correct? If thats so then theres another 16 degrees.....because.....

I initially set the distributor with the crank on zero. OK if I have an 8 degree correction on the damper and 16 degree on the initial timing setting, then that would be could be a total of 24 degrees off. 40 or so minus 24 is (DRUM ROLL) 16 total degees! I can then adjust from there right? Man I hope this is the right theory.

Your move! :lol::o:):D

• 3 years later...
Spiirit,

Wow, this is getting exciting since we are getting closer. OK I have to admit I am a DUMB###. I did do everything EXCEPT...let me get this straight one more time....

I remove my distributor, find TDC #1 Exhaust valve, turn the crank to set at lets say 16 degrees advanced. OK here is the big question...with my crank setting at 16 degrees advance (static timing), I would then insert the distributor gear with rotor pointing at the #1 plug correct? If thats so then theres another 16 degrees.....because.....

I initially set the distributor with the crank on zero. OK if I have an 8 degree correction on the damper and 16 degree on the initial timing setting, then that would be could be a total of 24 degrees off. 40 or so minus 24 is (DRUM ROLL) 16 total degees! I can then adjust from there right? Man I hope this is the right theory.

Your move! :lol::o:):D

So how did you make out?

• 11 years later...

Corzette...... I realize it may have been a long time since you wrote about your question but I have had this same problem for years.

Please tell me if you have ever found the fix for it.

I have the same Damper FLU-716242 bought from summit. 

I did all the checks you did finding TDC, used the piston stop, rotate the crank back and forth then haft of that  TDC lines up with stationary  at TDC,  it checks out but when I start the car I can't get the marks to come down to the stationary mark.

One year I tore it back down to see if the timing chain was right and it was , then the next year I tore it down again to make sure it was right and it was,

this is how bad it has me confused. The funny thing is the marks line up at TDC but after starting I'm 50 degrees off or so. 

I was so surprised to see your question about the same thing, but at the end no fix !

Please write back with what you did.

Edited by Ringo