HybridZ

External waste gate piping

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Any of you guys who have an ext WG use a seperate pipe? ie.. dont plumb back into the exhaust just run a smaller pipe along side the exhaust. I am trying to plumb a Tial 38mm and am concerned about cracking in the various pipes because of the number of flanges and thermal expansion and alignment. Looks like I will mount the wg under the exhaust mani then a very short pipe into the exhaust <2". Sorry it sounds like I am rambling. Basically I will have a flange on the ex mani, flange on the outlet of the wg, a pipe welded to the main exhaust pipe and a flange on the main exhaust bolted to the turbo. So my concern with all these flanges is getting everything lined up correctly once taken apart. eg a little misalignment when bolting together putting a slight unnoticable bind in the system.....then add some heat cycles and crack crack.

Any help or flames?

Thanks

Any of you guys who have an ext WG use a seperate pipe? ie.. dont plumb back into the exhaust just run a smaller pipe along side the exhaust. I am trying to plumb a Tial 38mm and am concerned about cracking in the various pipes because of the number of flanges and thermal expansion and alignment. Looks like I will mount the wg under the exhaust mani then a very short pipe into the exhaust <2".

I would recommend plumbing the wstegate back into the exhast considerably farther downstream than 2". The wastegate dumps to a lower pressure area that way. I would think that you would have less problems with cracking that way, too. I would at least try to blend back into the downpipe at the last 90 degree turn at the botom.

If you are worried about flex, install a flex pipe inline on the wastegate outlet. Do a web search on "exhaust flex pipe" - you should find plenty of suppliers.

I thought about adding a flex pipe on mine, But instead just ran a seperate pipe and dumped it under the trans. I cant get over how insane it sounds when the wastegate opens! its like a jet airplane taking off!

Anywho, Its not for everyone, But it makes it a bit easier for sure.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, that gives me some good ideas. You guys that are running openpipes is the noise extremly loud? Streetable? or does it sound like the world is coming apart?

Guest Anonymous

Hey Speedster, I noticed that you have a similar waste gate as I do. What kind of boost control are you running? This is my first experience with an ext wg. I have an electronic BC that I used with a t3 with an internal wg. It holds back pressure from the wg diaphram until a set pressure is reached then releases the pressure opening the wg. I understand that the ex wg use pressure to hold the valve shut, I am a little confused on how to hook up a bc, run it backwards or???

Thanks

Thanks, that gives me some good ideas. You guys that are running openpipes is the noise extremly loud? Streetable? or does it sound like the world is coming apart?

It s hard to try and compare or explain the sound it makes under full boost.... whoops, yes I do, it sounds like " damm, I just got spanked " :D

I use an HKS EVC-EZ electronic controller. This particular one has a switch to select an external (poppet valve ) gate or an internal (swing valve) type gate. If there is no switch on your controller, an external wastegate will need its control hoses connected backwards from the internal gate connections.

On an internal gate, control pressure on the top (or outer ) side of the diaphragm pushes to open the swing valve when the set pressure is reached. . On an external gate, pressure to the bottom (inner) side pulls the poppet valve open.

The top side of the external's diaphragm receives control pressure to push and help hold the valve closed until set pressure is reached.