HybridZ

Pic of a Yellow engine bay with welded in tube steel braces?

Guest Your Car is Slow

Guest Your Car is Slow

I saw a picture once of a yellow engine bay with a cage/strut tower brace made of tube steel that came off either end of the top of the strut to the framerails..and then to the firewall.

Anyone recall this picture or remember where it might be located?

I searched for 20min..then gave up :(

Guest Your Car is Slow

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

thank you.

Anyone know if this setup will work with an LT1/SBC swap? or I6 only?

For some reason I was unable to pull up the picture. If you are talking about the front strut tower brace made by Top end Perfromance - http://www.racetep.com - then yes - it will work with an LS1 conversion. Can't vouch for any of the others. I've trial fitted mine and it just barely clears the oil filler cap and the dipstick tube has to be bent outward just a bit for the dipstick to come up through the hole in the corner gusset between the cross member and fire-wall brace on the passenger side. Othere wise it looks great! I'll post a picture when I finally get it installed.

Sorry...I reread my message and didnt realize I was being vague :)

Will it work CLEARANCE wise on a V8 swap!

While I hope someone who has similar supports will chime in, I don't see why the bars shown above won't work. A V8 doesn't come as far forward as the L6, and with this set up the bars between the strut tower and firewall are high up with a gap in the middle. It looks like this set up would work fine. In fact, I saved a copy of the pic!

My concerns are

1) what bracing was applied to the firewall. The sheet metal is relatively thin there. Is there a cross piece behind the firewall in the cowl area?

2) Battery access

3) Is there still enough room for the brake booster and clutch master cylinder?

A number of the cars I have seen have braces going from the top of the strut towers backward down the the front of the rocker panels. This pipe could be completely our of the way and would, when combined with the rest of the piping, should make the engine compartent rather bullet proof. I don't think that addition would cause any header clearance issues.

Jim,

The one I have has the members that go back to the firewall actually bolting to the horizontal cowl lip right under the trailing edge of the hood just to either side of the hood latch. In other words, the bolts run vertically instead of horizontally and the brace attaches to a horizontal member rather than a vertical.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Would seem he welded in some steel backing plates to the firewall and then welded the supports to them.

Wonder if there would be a way to tie those supports into the cage in the cab..thus tying th entire car together from the top. bye bye frame flex :D