HybridZ

Corvette ZF 6 speed

Trevor

I've only seen this box mentioned in my JTR fuel injection conversion manual. This one on eBay looks like a bargain.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2420182460&category=33733&rd=1

My early 1990's JTR Datsun manual recommends 2 overdrive manual transmissions: The Camaro T-5 and The Corvette 4+3. Experience Here at Hybridz, the Camaro T-56 is the way to go.

Anybody have any experience with the ZF 6 spd in a Datsun Z?

7th edition JTR, 1999, no longer recommends it. Like all the hot shots here, they now say to go T56 if you are pushing more power than a T5 can handle.

The Corvette tranny is heavy, bigger (more "clearancing"), needs a separate oil cooler, heavy shifting, and parts are harder to get now that Doug Nash is out of business.

I was eyeballing an LT4-ZF6 set up on ebay a while back. I did a search (back before the software switch when half the posts got lost) and determined the ZF6 as not a good match for a Z conversion. The tranny is expensive, the clutch is something odd (and also expensive) and repair parts are even more expensive yet.

There was only 1 guy who was trying to install a ZF6 and he came to a dead end with the shifter came up somewhere in the middle of the driver's seat. He showed pictures, but I never did find a post on how he resolved the issue.

The best advice I got for the LT4-ZF6 package was to sell the ZF6 to some vette guy doing a restoration and buy a T56. The transmissions are worth big $$ to the guys that have to have them.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of going with the ZF6 in my car and even bought one for the car. That tranny is a monster, and it is not easily installed at all in ANY Zcar. The biggest thing is that the gear set is no on center of the case, it is moved over about 2 inches or so. Then the other thing is that the shifter is also moved over another 2 inces or so. That makes the shifter way to far over to fit the hump, and even into the seat area. The case will hit the hump on the left side so it will have to be cut, so juust to get the thing into the car you will have to hack the heck out of your car and figure out a way to change the shifter, and then it to is sloppy shifting.

Then you have to figure out the clutch, the driveline, the tranny mount and the clutch, pilet bushing.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TRYING THIS TRANNY, there is just to much to change to get it to fit, and then they have a problem with second gear going out.

If you want the best bang for your buck, go with a tremec TKO or TKO2 tranny. They are by far the easiest tranny to get installed in the car and they are strong, stronger then the T56.

I was going to do the T56 tranny, but there again, there were so many more mods to do, and the part that really bothered me was that the input spline/shaft was 1" to short and required to have the pilet bushing/bearing installed in the flywheel. I did not like that idea to much. I did like the gear ratios that the T56 had to offer for the car, but that was about it.

There is a guy that has done the bell housing, Virgel Plunk, but I dont have his number anymore. He wanted about 600.00 to do the bell housing.

I have installed a TKO2 in my car, and you can see what I have done at my web page at http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/page24.html and I have a number of pictures of the tranny and everything I have done to get it in my car.

hope that helpes. :D

I am strongly considering swapping out my 700R for a stick shift this winter. General consensus seems to lean in favor of the T56.... My concerns are: 1. modding and fabbing kept to a minimum. 2. gear noise. 3. enjoyability.

I want it to be durable, able to take some abuse up to around 400HP. I dont want to have to drown out tranny noise with the stereo. Finally, I wish to avoid most of the 10lb sledge or sawzall work on the tranny hump.

Anyone want to give feedback on their flavor of SBC tranny? If any of this is asking too much, I will stick with the 700R and my great gas milage. I can always get my fix for stirring the gear box in the 5sp convertible 240Z I will try to buy next week.... :D

thanks

tannji