HybridZ

280zx turbo motor bolts in, i think thats the easiest. its pretty cheap if you take a lot of boneyard chances, and easy to get some good power out of.

v8s take a little help to bolt in, but its off the hook. whats an lt6, do you mean lt4-the quad cam alloy vette motor. those arent cheap at all, they cost the same as a long block viper motor, might as well do one of those if you want to an exotic swap. awd? lets see it.

2jz would be great too, pricy. I like to shop at kragen and the local speedshops and junkyards for my hop up parts and maintenance parts, so i go v8, but i will be working with a 280ish z in the near future, boost.

INDIVIDUALITY IS EXPENSIVE

Has anyone done a LS6/Z06 engine swap in their Z? Would it be an easy swap? How much do those engines go for? Would it be cheaper to build a LT1 into a LS6? I am wanting to build a real quick/fast roadrace car and am having trubble deciding what engine would be best to use. Ive been toying with the idea of using a 2JZ supra TT motor or possibly if there was a way to use a Impreza wrx engine and drivetrain and have a AWD Z. I dont want the same old V8 swap that ever one else does... What would be your ideas for a bad ass, orginal, not to hard to install, engine for a early 70's Z most likely a 240?

Guest SteveR

LOL, I signed up JUST to reply to this thread. Been a lurker for a while though.

LT1 = Corvette Camaro/Trans Am engine from about '92, or so, until '97.

LT4 = LT1 with different heads, cam, etc. used in the '96 Corvette Grand Sport, I believe most '96 'Vette Collector's Editions, and some sort of special edition Camaro (the white one with orange stripes.) I believe you could special order it in regular 'Vettes too...

LT5 = The quad cam monster used in the ZR1 Corvette. rockon.gif

LS1 = The new bad boy on the block in Corvettes, Camaro's, and Trans Ams. :D

LS6 = The engine used in the Z06 Corvette which is obviously based off the LS1, not exactly sure what's different about it though... ;)

Now, as to what an LT6 is... :confused: You've got me. tongue.gif

Also, supposedly the engine that is going to be used in the C6 Corvette will be called the LS98. Or so I've heard...

Well, now that I'm signed up, maybe I'll start posting here, every now and then. cheers.gif

Guest SteveR

Here's another idea. You could get an LT1 real cheap, then get a Head/Cam 'LT4' kit from Jim Pace. The LT4 kit is supposedly good for 400+hp, which is a good bit more than the factory LT4.

But, hey, if your heart is set on the LS6, go for it! It's an awesome engine. smile.gif

Guest JESTER3798

I'm doing the LS1/T56 swap into a 280Z. and so far the engine is still sitting on the floor next to the car. None of the JTR stuff works. So the welders coming tomorrow and "a-fabricating-i-will-go". let you guys know what i come up with. If i can ever stop spending coin on the car and get a digital camera ill post some pics.

a couple guys are doing ls1 conversions, the ls6 should be physically the same thing, but the ls6 has more sophisticated efi and wiring hassles that the maros and birds dont get treated to. but it also makes more power, as the vette always does in production form, but i know that the vette has controls that govern some downright crazy functions, and may be very much harder than an ls1. 4000.00 is a good price for one of those. does a four speed bolt up to an lt1?

Importracer

The LS1 and LS6 are the same motor with only better breathing heads and intake manifold. You would be better off buying an LS1 and having the heads ported and buying an LS6 intake manifold, and installing a TR224 cam. This combo makes about 420 RWHP. Want more? Well then theirs a new roots vain type blower out that replaces the intake manifold, and boost to about 6 psi and another 125 RWHP. Good luck keeping all that stuck to the road! The stock LS1 makes about 300 RWHP and that is almost more than I can keep pointed in the right direction. Ck the members rides section to see the LS1 in a 73 240Z. By the way I went 12.38 at Texas Motor plex last friday night, and was having trouble hitting the rev limiter, their was at lest a second during that run that the motor was not making good power. The new Yank convertor is letting the motor rev faster than the computor can shift. I'm going to need the computor reprogramed to lower the shift points. Ck WWW.LS1.COM and WWW.LS1TECH.COM to see what their doing to make the LS1, LS6 go fast.

There is more to it than just that. The heads are totaly different on the LS6.

According to the Pace Performance catalog the differance is this:

"This cylinder head debuted on the 2001 LS6 engine. It offers the same overall package configuration as the LS1 cylinder heads. However, the combustion chamber has been downsized approximately 3CC for more compression. Also, the exhaust port has been redesigned and features a raised floor and smaller port volume. This head is characterized by a "D" shaped exhaust opening at the exhaust flange."

Where in texas are you from? Check out a site called TXSR.org its for texas racers, most of the people on the site race at the track.

• 1 year later...

First things first - The LT6 and LS6 are not the same motor.

The LS1 and LS6 are closely realted - especially if you can get a 2001 or newer LS1 which has the LS6 intake. THe LS6 has some differences in the block internals that make it a bit stronger and capable of higher revs. It also has a different intake and heads than the LS1.

The JTR stuff will be basically useless for an LS1 or LS6 conversion. You need to talk with http://www.johnscars.com if you want components for that swap. You can always figure it out for yourself and fab hte stuff up yourself if you're so inclined and have the time. THe component parts are not cheap but save lot of time, figureing and redoing because of mistakes or oversights.

Several LS1 conversions have either been completed or are in progress right now. Do a search. The LS6 swap, from an installation standpoint, will be the same. To my knowledge there is just one of those in progress right now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BigE

LT1: 92-96 Vettes, 93-97 Camaros and Firebirds, and some 94-96 Caprices, Roadmasters and all Impalla SS's (all full-size cars came with iron heads)

L99: 265 cu inch engine ("baby" LT1) that came in some 94-96 Caprices. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT an LT1 and has several disadvantages that make it undesirable (torque-tuned cam to move those heavy cars, iron heads and displacement shortage). It is identical to an LT1 in outward appearance.

LT4: basically the same as LT1 with revised intake (painted red), cam, rockers and heads. It came in all Grand Sport Vettes (96), 29 96 Firehawks and 100 special edition 96 Camaro SS's. It was also available in any 6spd equipped 96 Vette.

LT5: overhead cam motor built by Merlin Marine and only came in ZR1 Vettes. List price for a motor is 15,ooo, but they go for more due to limited availability.

LT6: no such motor

LS1: 97-present base Vettes, 98-02 Camaros and Firebirds, 04 GTO; came with LS6 intake and cam after 00 (ie. 01+)

LS6: Same as LS1 with slightly revised heads (10.1 to 10.5 CR), titanium valves, revised cam and intake. There are also some small differences in the block casting and supporting systems (PCV, manifolds, intake, etc.). Came in 01-present Z06 Vettes and all Cadillac CTS-V's. The 01 model LS6 was only rated at 385hp whereas the later models were rated at 405. The CTS-V version is rated at 400.