HybridZ

mounting an autometer tach?

jzd14

hey guys, i need some advice and insight before i buy an autometer tach

i've been looking at the 5" ones and looking at the mounting dimensions for them and i can't figure out how i would mount the thing in the dash?

i know a lot of you guys have gone to autometer guages in your car:

what type of tach did u get (model #, description)

how did you mount it (in dash or elsewhere, glued in, etc.)

i'm mostly interested in getting a tach that i can mount so it will blend in with my dash and the rest of my stock guages

however, i'm open to all mounting options right now

thx

-scott

by the way, i have a 240z...that probably makes a difference b/c of dash design :-D

direct mount:

tach.jpg

I put mine in , and the stock bolt holes lined up with autometer ones. I just had to go get a couple of couplers and a threaded rod to cut up to use. I extended the mount screws about 3" down, and secured with washers and wingnuts, like stock tach was mounted.

Pretty much any 5 in. tach will fit the factory hole for 240s. How you mount it is up to you. I used the Autometer U bracket, mounted it on the guage upside down ( with the U legs facing the front of the car ) and secured it to a brace behind the dash.

The Autometer 5 inchers ( speedos and tachs ) fit so nicely that a friend of mine got his to stay by merely wraping 1 or 2 rounds of electrical tape around the rim of the guage and plopping it in the hole. I know it sounds raw but it works!

Just don't try to mount a tach with a shift light attatched. That won't fit so great. I've got some pics I can e-mail you if you like.