HybridZ

I've got no spark...

Hey again guys... well I decided to go try and break in the motor today. I brought it out into the parking lot beside my house so there'd be plenty of room to work. With the help of a friend I determined that I have fuel pressure, oil pressure, my starter works, and so on. However, I don't have any spark. I have my system wired up exactly as the JTR book recommends, minus an Autometer tachometer. Where are the trouble areas/where should I start looking? What wires need to be hot for the ignition to work? My car is a 240Z. Thanks a lot.

What type of ignition do you have? Points or HEI? If points, check for power with the key on at the + on the coil. Replace the condensor. You may need to run a wire from the unused terminal on the solenoid to th + side of the coil. THis provides 12v during cranking. If HEI, check for 12v with key in the run position and also while cranking. If you have the power, but still no spark, make sure the distributor wires are connected to the plug wires. If you have a used HEI, you may want to mosey down to the parts store and get a new module. If never hurts to have a spare even if that's not the problem.

It is a brand new HEI unit... I think my problem may just be that I don't have a ground strap from the engine to the chassis.. I will hook one up tomorrow and see if current gets around to the ignition.. i think the problem was that the starter was getting plenty of voltage but it wasn't getting around to the ignition so there wasn't enough to produce spark.

Nion,

Try taking a wire directly from the battery + to the coil (make sure it is the correct terminal)on the distributer. make sure that the distributer is clearanced correctly at the inlet manifold and isn't binding in the cap. Also make sure the rotor is makinf connection with the tab in the cap.

HTH

Tim