HybridZ

Cable or Hydraulic clutch?

Guest bluex_v1

Guest bluex_v1

What is everyone's input on whether a cable or a hydraulic clutch feels best?

I was thinking in the interest of economics to try to adapt the cable out of my donor mustang...the only problem is it needed a greasing BAD, so I really don't know how it should have felt if it were properly cared for.

I've driven three cars with hydraulic clutches and didn't really like them...felt too inconsistent or something...maybe they needed bleeding?

Hydraulic all the way... Cables stretch, rust, kink and generally suck IMHO. :roll: We went through great pains to ensure out FSAE race car had a hydraulic clutch last year after fighting with a stock cable system a year before... That one experience alone with a cable clutch would never let me go back to one.

Of course cable is a lot cheaper.

Guest 240hybrid

I agree with drax240z on cable clutches. My brother has a 5.0 mustang and that thing has the stiffes clutch Ive ever felt, and took me twice as long to complete a shift as it does in my Z with the hydrolic system. Feels like I'll break the seat mounts when pushing the clutch in. :? Also, if your hydrolic clutch springs a leak, you might be able to nurse the verhicle home before the hydrolic system is bone dry. If your clutch cable breaks, your stuck in one gear or out of them all. This happened to my brother once and had to get the car towed to the house.

Just my $.02 on the matter.

Chase

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I prefer hydraulic all the way, if you had any trouble you probably needed to flush and bleed it. :wink:

In fact, I love hydraulic so much that I found this thread by searching to see if anyone has converted cable to hydraulic in their old Z's. I have a 1970 that I would like to switch over to hydraulic.

Anyone have any tips for me? :-D

Guest bluex_v1

Thanks for your inputs. I think I will go hydraulic... cable failure would suck much worse than hydraulic.

Rebel450CA- I don't have any tips, but I could send you my master and slave out of my '74 if you can use it. slave is new, master works.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
All stock Z's have a hydraulic clutch. No clutch cables were ever installed on Zcars at the factory. Are you sure that yours has a cable actuated clutch?

Josh

I just picked up the Z the other day, I didnt see a resevoir anywhere but it does feel hydraulic

• 4 years later...

I feel like if I had a cable at least I'd know if the clutch was working. It appears that I have a bad clutch and I should just take it to a pro. But that is just the easy way out; isn't it?

I take it back about hydraulic clutchs; I replaced the clutch and the hydraulics were fine, I didn't have any experience. The car had been sitting in a garage for 15 plus years and the pressure plate was welded by rust to the flywheel and I had to chip it off with a putty knife. New clutch kit and machined flywheel and it shifts just fine. Now I'm getting the gas tank boiled and with some luck I'll be running.

Guest Richie James Dio

Alright guys i know you might get this a lot but i'm gunna get a new clutch for my 280 but my problem is that i wouldn't know what tools i would need like i would have most of the important one but i'm wondering if there would be some tool i would need to but just for the clutch.thanks guys.