HybridZ

1970 Firebird Formula Hood repair

Len

Hi Guys

I'm currently doing father son bonding with my 15yr. old. We are getting his 1970 firebird ready for paint. Last month I found a Fiberglass Formula Hood at a swap meet for $45. Which is great since haven't seen them on ebay for less that $300 (add $90 shipping to that).

Well at that price we need to do Fiberglass work. I talked to a guy at a Body/Paint supply and he asked if it was same type fiberglass as a Corvette. I didn't know I thought all were the same. He said a Corvette uses a "SMC" fiberglass. Which is NOT the same as regular fiberglass.

Do any of you know what type fiberglass is used for the stock 1970 Firebird Formula Hood and also the Rear fiberglass panel between the tailights?

I know this is not Z related but "hey yous guys are my buds". My family you know what I mean? There is sooo... much wealth of information on our site. I figure why go anywhere else?

But then again I could be wrong :D

Len

the 70 firebird (really 70 1/2)was the first year of the 2nd generation body style. The rear has like three slits about 8" long by 1" together on either side. The formula hood has two long snorkel scoops (2" by 10" wide facing and starting at the very front of hood sloping down to nothing tward the windshield. I swear I am gonna learn to use my daughters digital camera real soon so I can take pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Racer and David I finally learned to download my Digital camera on my PC although I can't seem to figure out how to post on Hybrid. So I will send you guys an E-mail.

Len