HybridZ

I want A/C in my Z..

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Anyone have any advice for hooking up a/c in a car that did not have factory a/c? (a 1970 240Z, in this case). Could I get all the A/C components from a newer Z and mount them? Is there an aftermarket kit that works? Any ideas/experience?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
Hi Rebel, I'm installing a vintage air unit.

Cool, those are nice kits. What's the price on that bad boy? :-D

Is that the Gen II compac kit?

One of our club members used a system from the 1981-85 Maxima. He claimed the Maxima evaporator was easier to hack into his '72 240Z than the 260/280Z or the 280ZX one.

Where to locate the evaporator is the biggest problem when trying to AC a 240Z. Next is getting good airflow through the evaporator.

I wonder if it would be easier if you replaced the 240 dash with the 260Z or 280Z dash?

You might want to pick uo a copy of Street Rodder magazine.There are several companies that advertise there regularly.The units tend to be compact due to the limited space available in most of the old cars.

The Vintage Air is a very poupular product and has been around for long time. Good Luck,Tom

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
I used Motorsport Auto's kit in my '78 - about 650.00

Wow, that's a good price. I dont think you could save much by pulling a setup from a donor car. Does that come with any kind of warrantee or tech support? What else needs to be done after it's installed, do you need to take it to a shop to get it "charged"?

Guest iamjackal

Somewhere along the line someone made one for the car I own. I bought this car for v8 swap so I wont be needing it. Im not sure if the previous owner had the ket made or what because its not original. AC compressor is mounted on upper right hand side of motor. As far as I know its all there except for the drive belt and obviously it would need charged. I dont know what or if it would be worth anything to you. If so I can let you know more about it if you wanna send me a PM.

Jeremy

I've got a Vintage Air system also. Click on the "Freeserver" link below, go to pictures, and scroll down to see some pics. It's an older unit that had the fan motor sitting opposite of fastzcar's (www) pic above, so I had to modify the cowl area a bit.

I used Motorsport Auto's kit in my '78 - about 650.00 and works well.

The install wasn't a smooth as you would expect from a specific application kit but the results were good.

Rick, does the Motorsport kit mount on the driver side? All my turbo piping is in the way. I can't find a good mounting point for the passenger side of the car. Also, anyh complaints about the system?

Thanks for any help.

Jason

The Motorsport kit does mount the compressor down low on the drivers' side, also the drier is mounted near the drivers' side strut tower.

The drier really is the thing that would be in the way - and it could be relocated with different hoses.

I had to do some fabricating to get the evaporator housing to match my 78's ducting.....

The system works really well , keeping me cool even on 100degree days.