HybridZ

What's that sound?!

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Ok everyone, several of you know that I am going to go pick up my first Z soon (monday actually). :-D

I have one question about a noise that I heard that sounded like possibly the R200. It sounded like a constant "whirrr" while driving. I have heard this sound from differentials in other cars before and have always been told it is normal and ok, however, in the Z (1970 240z) it is particularly loud. Is that just cuz of the lack of insulation and sound-deadening material?

Is this something that should be of concern?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
its not one of those sounds that you know something is wrong.

WHEW! :D

That's what I was thinking but I just wanted some other input. Thx!

The R200s will whine if run low on fluid, but it will still go forever. I had faith once in the "Jiffy-Lube" type joints, and was told time and time again the rear end fluid was checked and OK. 3 years later I was driving home from Jiffy Lube after being told that very line, and the rearend started HOWLING! The plug was tight, but the diff was bone dry! :shock:

Filled it with fluid myself, it ran in my car for 3 more years, though it whined terribly. Needless to say, I've never been back to any lube place - do it all myself.