HybridZ

Autometer programmable speedo and T56

Owen

Acording to the Haynes manual I have for a '94 Camaro (that's what my LT1 came out of) the Purple wire is VSS ground and the Yellow wire is the VSS signal.

Hope that helps, if you need to know which pin on the connector is VSS signal I'll have to check the harness against the conncetor at the trans.

-Joe

Owen , I've been trying to get my set-up to work ever since I got the car on the road. I changed sensors, I switched wires, I even sent my Autometer back to the factory to check it. I just can't get it to work! I just ordered a reluctor ring kit that bolts on to my diff (12 bolt) from "stealth conversions, Mike Knell" and will relocate my sensor to it. I'll let you know if it works, but I don't know if it will work on anything else than a GM diff.

:D

Joe, when you have the chance can you tell me the pinouts? I don't remember mine having any colors so if you could tell me the wire towards the front of the car is xxx and the wire towards the back is zzz.

Thanks!

Owen

Guest the_dj

Mine works but I didn't install it. Hope that helps :?:lol:

That said, at least there's hope. :) If I get the chance I'll try and figure out where the wires run, but my time for car work is being replaced by overtime these days.

Just to rub it in I bought the converter that allowed me to keep the stock speedo - with the turn signal indicators - and run it off the output off the T56. Mine works fine and it's tuneable to any tire size/differential ratio.

Just to rub it in I bought the converter that allowed me to keep the stock speedo - with the turn signal indicators - and run it off the output off the T56. Mine works fine and it's tuneable to any tire size/differential ratio.

What converter is this?

Basically it's a little black box that takes the output signal from the T56 and converts it to a drive signal for a small electric motor that drives the speedometer cable. It is adjustable for differential gearing and tire size. Not very easy to set up but works.

Mine is mounted down by my left foot where the ecm for the Z used to be.

What converter is this?

Dan, It's called a Cable X. Here is an old email (1999) :

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your interest in the CABLE X. The Cable X is basically

an adapter that enables you to operate your cable driven speedometer

with an electronic transimission. The Cable X is hooked up by three

wires: HOT to the iginiton; GROUND to the battery; and SIGNAL

to your speed sensor off of your transmission. Your dip switches

located inside the Cable X are set following the Abbott Calibration

Table that comes with your Cable X.

You can adjust the Cable X to meet the changes you make in the

rear end gear ratio. The Cable X will pick up its signal from your

speed sensor off of the transmission.

The Cable X is only $293.99. To order give us a call free: 1-800-643-5973.

We accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

John T. Ware, II

Customer Service

And also decide to do away with your turn signal indicators.

Plus - I haven't personally seen a substitute gauge that matches the oem gauges well enough to not be obviously a substitute. I was willing to spend a few $$ to keep all my stock gauges. I guess that is one of my "preferences" that dictated my conversion just like other folks like the white-faced gauges, or a fuel cell, or whatever. If one of my gauges dies on me now I just go to my local salvage yard and get another one for a fraction of the price of a new one. If the "converter" dies , though, I'm in for it if it's outside the warrantee period.

Yeah, a good substitute for stock is hard to find. The only ones out there are those old-timer type gauges meant for Mdel-Ts and such. I painted the bezels on my Autometers black, blacked out the Autometer logos, etc.

Owen

Owen, I tried that "Stealth reluctor ring kit " but it did not fit my 12 bolt. It was made for an S10 rear (7 1/4 I think). So While I was under my car I pulled the electrical plug attached to the VSS (plug bought at Pep Boys) and measured how far in the pins where in the VSS, and how far the plug went into it. Well I found that even though the plug clicked into place, it was not making contact with the VSS. So I modified the plug untill it seated far into the VSS and now my speedo works! Check your electrical plug.