HybridZ

Help with radiator ???

Hey guys according to the jtr book I need a radiator off of a 84-86 camero. Will any others work and will one from a slightly newer camero work. This is going to be a street car so I need one that can handle lots of driving. Thanks guys

What van is that. Is that any v6 chevy van. Can i just use any radiator that will fit in the slot or what. Have a junk yard five minutes away but they didnt have any camero's except one that was like an 87 or 88 and jtr says it has to be 84-86. Thanks guys

Guest Anonymous

Gee whiz, do not give up too soon on that radiator question. Do some research in this forum and you can see why everyone is burned out on the subject. I tried to find an after market Camaro radiator--I could not find one in the year 2001. I bought an aluminum 24X19 Griffin out of Summitt Catalog with free shipping for under $200. You may find one in an old Camaro but those things are plastic/aluminum and after 10 years of use expanding and contracting are on borrowed time. Nothing worse or more aggravating than a radiator problem. If I could have found a cheaper solution I would have went for it. Keep checking the wrecking yards with the dimension of 25+x 19. With all those Camaros out there you might come up with something. BUT BEWARE of the really small 4 cylinder Camaro radiator. Some fellows report good luck with stock Z radiators and electric fans.

Guest zfan

Ok here is my advice. Dont screw around with cooling. If you have 200.00 buy a Griffith or simular aluminum radiator. Just my two cents worth. I have heard some negative stuff re: Camaro Radiators?

Mike cheers.gif

thanks for the help. I have heard however that the aluminum radiators such as the griffeth arent designed for road use and can end up leaking prematurely. Will any radiator that size work? I can pull one from a newer car or truck pretty easily. Thanks

Guest Anonymous

GRI-1-2502-x $189.95 1-800-230-3030 free shipping, Does not come with built in automatic transmission cooler

Many years ago my inline 6 had radiator problems. I went to a local radiator shop and bought an (I assume) off the shelf radiator with a 3 or 4 row core to replace the stock single row one. Maybe they built it from my old core, too long ago to remember. I do know it did the job with excess capacity and I don't remember paying anywhere near 2 bills.

I don't think it is aluminum and is definitely not plastic. Can't see why that wouldn't work with a V8. At the time I remember it having more cooling area than the radiators MSA sold with their V8 kit.

Opinions?

mine is stock z radiator, recored to three core, runs fine, yes its brass, runs great, i run 179 on a 180 therm all the livelong day for three plus years of driving the z like i stole it.

no funny brackets needed, costs a little over 100 dollars, bolts in, and works as good in a v8 car.

If recoring a stock Z radiator works, then why all the rush to pick up Camaro radiators? Seems like the extra $100 could be better spent.

Would there be a problem with say an LT1 and the "reverse flow" cooling? What about radiator hoses, are the diameters and/or placement unworkable with a Chevy engine?

If recoring a stock Z radiator works, then why all the rush to pick up Camaro radiators?
Jim,

when you can pick up a Camaro rad. with 2 fingers, and need both hands (with help from Arnold Swartzenegger) :eek:twak.gif to pick up even a 2 core Z rad., the difference is mindblowing. Having all that weight hanging off the front of the car (in the worst possible place for decent weight distribution), the al. radiators make sense and unless you really have scrape up $$ for the conversion, is worth the expense.

BTW, I picked up my Camaro radiator for 25 bucks!!

Tim

I still need to know what will work. Is there any reason I cant use a similar aluminum radiator from any car. The junk yard is full of them. just not the camero one. although there are newer cameros with radiators there say 87 or 88-90. Still would like to know what van radiator will work. I really appreciate all the input