HybridZ

Tachometers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking for advice from the group on tach. selection. (Now that she's runnin' I'd like to know how fast!) My question is have you guys gone the 280 guts in the 240 unit to make it work route, or the aftermarket street/strip tach. way? If aftermarket, any brand preference and mounting tips would be greatly appreciated!

BTW small HEI w/ external coil in use.

I just replaced my Mallory tach with a Autometer Monster tach.... no shift lights or extras... it fit perfectly in the existing hole in the dash.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Frank280z

Autometer has good products. I also went with a monster tach. But in their Autogage form. Introductory race tach without the memory. But I did opt for the shift light.

5" gauges fit right inside these dashes.

Frank

If you go the Auto meter route, you might want to consider getting something that has a matching 5†speedometer. The overall look is quite nice. It makes calculating speedometer gears (for the trans) a little easier. Metric speedo’s use 1024rpm = 60mph. English (Autometer) speedo’s use 1000rpm = 60mph... which is basically the domestic standard on all OEM cable driven speedometers. Going the aftermarket way, a generic speedometer cable can be used. One less thing to worry about making. However, I always thought a stock looking dash made great sleeper appeal. If you need guts from a 280Z tach, I might be able to scare something up.

-Andy

Guest Anonymous

I used the 280-Z guts method. It worked just like the book says. Recently went with the autometer 5in tach and speedo. Looks great and hook up was straight foward. Mark