HybridZ

What type of driveshaft are you T-5 users running???

Guest shauno_

Guest shauno_

I just broke my custom shaft for my t-5 due to the bigger tires I just installed on my zed and am now frantic about getting one that will not give me heart pounding explosion that this one just did. You guys know what i mean if you've blown one under a hard shift....

So tell me if you will, what you did to keep those tires spinning.

I don't think I'll be getting anything less than satisfactory, so tell me all you horror stories with bad and good decisions please.

Thanks for the info :lol:

Coincidentally, today I had my local shop start on my custom driveline. To avoid the "explosion" as you say I am using non-greasable Brute Force or Spicer u-joints. The diff flange is the larger 300ZX version. The whole thing is costing me 325.00. :shock: but I don't think I'll ever break it. Some day I hope to put down 400RWHP while visiting the dragstrip. :D

Guest shauno_

I'm running 275/40 rear tires and I think I might be a bit rough on it...

Also, the guys that fixed the driveshaft previously bored out the bearing holes and welded in new joints... I'm thinking they might have weakened the whole assembly by adding that kind of heat. I'm bringing it back to them considering they just attempted to fix it a week ago.

Does the 300 zx flange just fit right into the r200 diff???

I'd love to go that route!

Thanks

If you want a good driveshaft made, try SWAT out in Surrey. The guy there is a wizard... he's got a pretty wicked toyota truck out there too. ;) 2.8L V6, supercharged, propane in the area of 400hp he says. Its neat to see. (as he offroads it yet it is close to show quality at the same time)

The pinion flange I'm talking about is the one that came on my 88 300ZXT R200 LSD. The bolts are larger, 10mm I think. It's also a bit thicker. To go this route you will also have to buy the driveline flange that mates up to the larger pinion flange. A good driveline shop should be able to handle this.

I just had this part made for me last week. I am running a TKO2 tranny now and I had to have the driveline made for the car.

The 300ZXT LSD pinion flange is larger then the standard flange. It uses the 100 blots, but most significant is the fact that Spicer makes a companion flange that will hold a 1310 universal joint, much stronger then anything Nissan made. I have a picture of the driveline and flange on my web page at http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/page24.html I also went with the non greasable universal joints which are srtronger still. I dont think you will have a problem with that type setup on your car. :D

JeffP, you are correct about the pinion flange u-joint being able to use a spicer 1310. That's what I am going to use on the rear u-joint. My problem right now is that my driveline shop can't find a yoke for my Datsun T-5 that will support the Spicer 1310. For now it looks like I'll be running a 1310 on the back and a Nissan on the front.

maybe there's a need for the upgrade, maybe not. I do believe in upgrading a part if you're already replacing it, but I've had no problems as of yet with my factory driveshaft in my 83-280zxt. I'm running a slick thats just over 9 inches wide and come off the line hard (20psi of boost and no wheelspin). Well, what ever you end up doing, let us know.

James

Well as it turns out my new driveline isn't what I expected. When I took it in they said they could find a T-5 yoke and Neapco flange that would work with the Spicer 1310 u-joints. WRONG.... What I ended up with was a driveline with new yoke and new Neapco flange that matches my larger R200 LSD pinion flange. They had to use Nissan style u-joints. The total cost was 279.64. Ugggg!! Oh well. I doubt if I'd ever break it.