HybridZ

is there such thing as a 1979 280Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

when searching part catalogs etc. the Z's seem to only goto '78. & 79 onwards are all ZX's all my badges are 280Z & my papers say it is a 1979 280Z can somone PLEASE enlighten me. much appreciated NZ

You could have a very late 78 that has been titled as a 79. what is the body style? does the vin# start with S30...?

It used to be standard practice to label cars manufactured after september as the following year. For example, a 78 280z manufactured on sept, 1 1978 might be labeled as a 79 280Z.

More recently the car manufactureres have expanded this policy. The most extreme case I recall was the 1997 ford f150. They were actually on dealer lots in the early summer of 1996. :roll:

• 2 months later...

I was told by a local Datsun Tech, now with his own shop, that the 280Z was produced into 1978 in SE Asia, which includes NZ and Australia. He also said that like the late US spec 280Z (post May, 1978), they were closer to a 280ZX in all of the wiring and ancillary circuitry, than the previous 280Zs.

Hope this helps,

ecp48