HybridZ

Anybody running A/C on an LT1?

I've been searching the posts and this looks bad. Does anybody know of a bracket set-up at ANY price the will work? I need to drive the alternator and the A/C compressor only. A serpentine belt would be prefered but I'll consider V belts.

I'd like to hear from you guys that actually have this working.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

From what I remember hearing from posts on the board is that you have to go with an aftermarket pulley system, like March etc and mount the AC compressor up above the valve cover, but I don't believe that anyone has actually done it (prohibitive cost for us poor Z guys.)

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I had AC on my lt-1 Z for a while. I used the street and performance brackets that mount the compressor and alt. infront of and just above the valve covers. Just barley cleared the stock hood with engine in the JTR position. Mark

I've been fighting the same problem with an A/C bracket. I want to place the stock A/C compressor above the valve cover on the drivers side. I went junk yard surfing and found a bracket from a 91 Pontiac that looks like it will work. It will bolt up to head and it is pretty close to being in line with the crank pulley. I'm trying to decide if I want to use one belt or add a pulley to the balancer and use a seperate belt for the compressor. This bracket looks like it will work for either setup. The bracket is a two piece part. One part bolts to the head and the other is a plate that the compressor bolts to and is slotted for tensioning the v-belt. I drilled out the plate and elongated one of the holes so I can bolt the original LT1 compressor to it. I'll be finalizing the bracket over the weekend (I hope) and will post picks when finished. If you go to the JY look for a 91 Pontiac V8 with a AC-Delco compressor on the drivers side. Hope that helps.

- Joe

Thanks guys,

The pics really help. I was thinking about the tpi brackets too. I'm going to see if I can pick some up and give it a try. The compressor and alternator are different than the LT1 so it looks like those will have to be swapped too.

Got links or pics from the March and Street & Performance brackets?

I just gave up and followed advice from others on the HybridZ and installed the Street and Performance brackets. They are in the catalog around page 52. Big Phil recommenmded changing the 10" adjuster bar to a 7.5 and using it on A/C side and the 9" on alt side. You need to move coil to lower passenger side...they have that adapter too. Plan on spending around $700 unless you get the alt and compressor from them too...add $400+ Yes it is very pricey for somebody like me that made do in past. That LT1 loves $$$. On plus side is they fit great...might even have 7.5" and a 8" bar...but 9" seems to give better idler angle. They are really nice pieces...mine are unpolished ...fit and look great. Hurt to spend more than I paid for engine! john

I didn't see a catalog, but I think this is what they are talking about:

http://www.streetrodcatalog.com/manufacturers/streetandp/bracket-streetandp-chevy.shtml

Oops, online catalog:

http://www.tunedport.com/

Yes, I'm bored and I have to be up in 6 hours for work. I sometimes hate going to the Z Club meetings. I can never get to sleep afterwards. :shock:

If you're talking "any price" go with the corvette bracket, Street & Performance pulley (extended for corvette lineup) corvette a/c (seems that only this compressor will work) and your Lt1 P/s and alt. The alt must be clocked to fit and I understand from other sites that the p/s pump will also fit, but the pressure and return line must be finnessed a bit.

gw