HybridZ

T-56 compatability Q

Guest goldraven

Guest goldraven

alright, i hit a brick wall today. Im using a T-56 Tranny, and the engine i am using is from an 88 or 89 truck, the truck had an automatic trans on it. the bolt pattern from the 350 to the T-56 isnt exactly the same...but most of the bolts line up so the bolt pattern isnt the problem. the problem is that the T-56's "shaft" in the bell housing (sorry, im not sure what that thing is called) when the two bolt up the shaft hits the crank shaft on the engine. it is about 1' too long, does anyone know where i can get an adaptor plate to stick between the tranny and the engine to give it enough room so that that shaft can fit? or am i going to have to customize this plate? please tell me someone makes this.

thanks for your help guys,

Nick

What is your T56 out of? There are two versions that were in the F body cars. The first version was mated to the LT1 from '93 to '97. The second version was mated to the LS1 from '98 - on. I believe the later version has a longer input shaft. I don't have the specifics here with me at work.

The older (LT1) version should bolt right up to the '84 and up single piece rear main blocks like yours. It sounds like you may have the newer (LS1) version.

You other T56 owners chime in anytime. I may have my facts crossed-up.

If I am correct (it happens once in a while), I'm not sure if anyone makes an adaptor. You may need to swap your tranny out for the earlier model T56. There are adaptor bell housings to mate the earlier T56 to older 2-piece rear main blocks, but I haven't run across any for this particular application.

Guest goldraven

drill a hole into the crank shaft? so that the transmission shaft can stick into it? will the pressure plate fit into the bell housing still...if it is 1' smaller? since the tranny shaft is in the crank shaft?

Guest goldraven

or could i go the other way and cut off an inch off of the shaft that is in the transmission...i would feel safer cutting that than drilling the engine.. and i have the same question as before...can all the components still fit in there if it is an inch shorter?

No dont cut anyting off that shaft! I dont think you machinist would even approve of that. I have heard of more than one guy drilling a crank for a manual tranny. Its not that big of a deal for a good machinist.

Guy

Guest goldraven

ok, so keep the tranny shaft, and drill into the crank shaft? man, that sounds a bit harsh. how will it be able to handle the power? all it is going to be is a stock 350...but if it is bored out...wont it effect the strength of it?

Guest greimann

The purpose of drilling the crankshaft is to install a pilot bearing that holds the nose of the input shaft. This is necessary, not optional.

Yeah I dont think you can run a manual tranny without a pilot bearing...I think that pilot bearing is an important part of keeping that input shaft on the tranny nice and stable.

You wont hurt the crank if you have it drilled out and have a pilot bearing installed. Talk to your machinist and see what he says. Im sure it wont be a problem.

Guy

Guest goldraven

one more question i had was, once i drill a hole into the crank shaft. will i have to make my own pilot bushing? what do you guys think i should do about that.

Guest greimann

You buy pilot bearings from the same place you buy your clutch components.

And "you" are not going to drill your crank. A machine shop must do it.

54541100.jpg

Guest goldraven

well, i was totally puzzled by the fact that the tranny came out of a 93 camaro. because if it had came off of a Lt1 motor. it should have bolted up no problem to my engine. so i ran the numbers w/ the dealership and the guy i baught it from was wrong. he said it was from a 93 camaro...but the transmission is off of a LS1 motor. so it had to be an earlier version of that transmission...anyways. i found a company that makes adaptor kits for this kind of issue. the kit alone is around 600 bucks not including shipping.

Weir Hot Rod Products

4911 Paoli Loop Rd.

Napa, CA 94589

800/633-9869

707/647-0513 Tech

that place makes the kit...for furthur reference. if any of you guys run into this problem.