HybridZ

Pulling the motor?

Guest shuyun

When I pulled the motor and tranny out of my 280ZX....

I pulled them as a whole unit, engine and tranny together. I also used and engine "load leveler". I would highly recommend buying one of these or renting one from Auto Zone. You may not be concerned about dinging up the paint now but when you put the new motor back in you probably will be!

I attached my load leveler/engine hoist on the front of my engine where there was a braket specifically for lifting the engine(its basically a braket with a hole in it for attaching a chain/hook) and then I pulled an exhaust bolt out and attached the chain with a new hardended bolt to where the exhaust bolt was.

Guy

Guest Zachb55

i only used three holes, 2 up front, one in back (fuel pump on one side, mani bolt on other, and mani in the back). came out easily, puting it in was a little tougher to get it to not tilt. My hoist came with a tilt controller and it really helps with taking it out and putting it in, i even kept my drive shaft on so the gear oil wouldnt leak out, easy as pie!

-Zach

I think you can get tools from Auto Zone for free but you have to put a deposite down so that they know they will get their tools back. I bought one for $48.00 from Checker Auto. I know I will use it again so I didnt mind spending the money on it.

Guy

ive used seat belts for the last 3 L motors, works like a charm.

The great thing about seatbelts is they don't mar anything or break anything (fuel lines, fittings, etc) like the chains can do, but they are not meant to have oil or solvents on them for long, otherwise their strength can be compromised over time. If you ever use seatbelts, use loooong ones.

Davy