HybridZ

Remote Starter Install Finished!

Forrest

Hey guys,

My install is finished...well, almost. Still have to screw down the unit and hide the wiring. But it's working! I ended up going with a unit made by Autopage, sold by a local alarm/stereo shop. It was 100$, which was about 40$ more than I should have spent - however, they had a shiny black 240Z molded into the wall as their stereo demo car! (The wall was cut out so that only one size of the car was visible from the outside.)

It was pretty nifty! I was so impressed I decided to give them the extra 40$ instead of price shopping.

The novelty will probably take a few weeks to wear off. Every time I have started it today I have startled someone. A guy outside the restaurant we went to for lunch said "Hey, is that your Porsche? I could have sworn I heard it start a minute ago when I walked by." (I still have all my factory logos and insignia, some people can't read.) A guy outside my apartment this morning jumped back when it started, and I've had fun messing with the guys at work, too.

Back in 1993, when I installed one on my dad's LeSabre, I thought that in 10 years these things would be so common that no one would even give it a second glance, but apparently it still has some novelty value if installed on an old car. :)

Hey that's sweet! What year is your car? Is it autamtic and EFI? I have the same feature on my alarm but ti's not hooked up because of no Auto. or EFI. I figures I'd get an alarm with that option just incase an LT1 or LS1 ever snuck into my engine compartment 8)

My car is a 77, with EFI and a manual transmission. They work with carbs, but not as well unless you install a solenoid to simulate pumping the gas, which I did see a kit for back in 93. The lesabre had carbs, but it didn't really need it...it would start without pumping the gas.

The car places won't install it on a car with a stick, for liability reasons. I have to be really careful now, too, to make sure it's not in gear. I have NEVER left it in gear, and anytime someone else drives it, I usually forget to check before starting the car, and it jumps forward a foot and dies. Anyway, if you are already in the habit of leaving it in neutral, you can install one yourself, it's not hard. It's just a matter of finding the right wires, checking your connections, and reading the instructions carefully. I haven't ever installed a carb kit, so you'll have to do some research on that. Good luck.

Yeah I propped thwire up to see if it would work with the stock eng and 5 speed but it didn't work too well in the winter. The manual choke on my 72 doesn't help the cause at all. Oh well, at least that feature is there if I ever go EFI. 8)

That reminds me, I still need to instal the door lock actuators! Forrest, does your Z have power door locks? If not you can get the actuators for $5 each and wire them to a relay. Your alarm should have a plug tto send the open/close signal to a solenoid ( dei part #451M ) I haven't got a chance to look in the door to see where I will mount the actuator though...just a thought... :idea:

No, no power locks. I think I'm going to stick with manual locks- less weight! My unit has room for 7 more functions I can program, though, with the output harness. I haven't decided if I'm going to do anything with them, lots of other stuff to work on first...speaking of which, I'm starting on Megasquirt tonight.