HybridZ

Nissan 5-speed tranmission vent question?

RedNeckZ

:roll: I need some help looking for a answer to a problem I have. I was trying to get a part for the vent on a nissan 5-speed transmission. I have gone thru the local Nissan store and Motor Sport Z store to try and get this part. They don't have it and can not get it. It is out of production, is what they say. The transmission is the 1980 280ZX 5-speed. I broke off the transmission vent when I moved from Colorado to North Carolina. What I am looking at doing is placing a metal sleeve (same size as vent) in it's place and running a rubber tube to a remote vent area on the body. Most 4-wheel drivers do this when they do a lot of deep water crossings. I have tried going to the junk yards around here to see if I can get a replacement cover from another transmission. But they want to much for it and I am to poor from this move to afford it. Does, anyone see any problem doing this on a Datsun 240Z or have a better idea? Your help would be greatly welcome. :D

Sounds ok to me. The OE (nylon?) vent is a taper fit so you would want to match that with whatever tubing you use, a short piece of copper or steel may be best, with a longer piece of flexible tubing on the end of that. Maybe use Loctite or a metal adhesive to hold the metal pipe in place.