HybridZ

Patriot D's are O's?

Dan Juday

Joe, a.k.a. JoeinCA, came by today and we got to talking about headers. I was showing him the Patriot ceramic coated ones for the LT1. As I looked at them I noticed that although they have the correct part# stamped on them they are not D shaped at the flange. In fact, they dip so far below the bottom edge of the port on the heads that there is only about a 1/16" of mating surface that the head and the header share. I called Jegs but they had no answer for me other than to give me the phone# for Patriot. I'll call them on Monday but I was wondering if anybody here has had this problem. Did I get missmarked headers or is this just a poor design?

I picked up a set of the regular patriot block hugger headers. the fit is perfect. with 1/4" or more of clearance between the steering rod.(I think, i havent quite finalized my engine/transmission placement.)

The ceramic coated headers sure looked good. too bad i had to cheap out... eh oh well, i'll pick up a set of the ceramic coated headers a bit later, and put these on my 57.

Anyhow... I need to go get some parts to finish up on my Q-jet install on my other other chevy... (so much chevy, so little cash :-) )

Joe

• 2 months later...

I got and returned a set of Patriots due to the large O shape of the ports, they were nowhere near the shape of my Corvette angle plug, d-port heads. I held a copper d-port gasket up to them and saw trouble, big mismatch. (Leaks) The Sanderson CC1HO is a perfect port match, requires no gasket. The flange is .375" thick. The collector is 3". I dont know if it clears the steering shaft, but I would like to hear if someone knows. If it does clear, the quality of the header is definately worth the addittional money. They come with an angled reducer and the collector flanges are free to rotate so you can "point" your header pipe in any direction.