HybridZ

how do you take the knuckles off? if thats what they are...

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

my parents are really pissed at me and my dad told me i have to sell my Z... so i told him to screw off and im doing the whole car by myself..

i cant take the knuckle off, i guess i have to put a bushing in there.

any pointers?

if i cant get this front suspension done this weel i have to sell the car..

so i guess ill post it forsale too.. :(.

thanks

Guest cbrunberg

Hey Mike, sorry to hear about your family trouble. Hopefully it's a passing dispute.

I'm not sure what you are refering to as a knuckle. Is it the out tie rod end? That's where the steering link connects to the steering arm near strut spindle assy. :?

Carl

Guest ON3GO

the stock ones of these...

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=23-4181&Category_Code=PSDC11

im guessing i need a press but i dont have one, and to get it off i need to take off the whole front steering assembly..

everything is soooooooo stuck on, damn bolts and nuts wont come off, and then im stuck on so many other things because of lack of some tools...

The steering knuckles are connected in two places. One end connects to the outer tie rod and one end connects to the ball joint. Both connection points need to be broken loose with what's known as a pickle fork. Picture a two prong fork that is wedge shaped, I know that descrpition sucks but it is the best I can do. The pickle fork is drive between the knuckle and the joint forcing them apart. You can rent them but you will need two different sizes for this.

You have just scratched the surface of what you want to do so you need to work it out with your parents. Like I said in an earlier post, you need to tackle one task at a time so that you wind up with a driveable car between upgrades. That way you can do one thing and then drive the car while the parents ca;m down before the next round of modifications. Work it out and don't sell the car!!

Guest cbrunberg

Try to patch it up with your family they will be there long after this car is gone!

This joint cant be separated by smacking it with a large hammer. :)

Loosen the nut about a 1/4 inch and hit the knuckle on the end hard. DO NOT HIT THE NUT OR ROD END!!! Hit on the end of the part shown in the picture. The idea is to change the shape of the taper where the shaft goes through. I know this sounds extreme but it's standard precedure. A pickle fork works well and can be rented for a few dollars at some chain auto parts stores but they distroy the rubber grease boot. That's why most shops use the hammer method. It shocks the joint loose and does not do damage to it. You can go to a front end shop and ask them about the technique. I'm sure they will show you or can go to the local school auto shop and ask. The teacher may use it as an excuse to show his class.

As a matter of fact this whole car looks like a good excuse for you to take a shop class at the local community college. My teacher used to let me work on my hot rods alot. They became class projects sometimes. I was allowed to work after hours when other classes were in session. That was twenty years ago I don't know if they can still be so esay going in this day and age but either way you learn and become more independent.

Good luck,

Carl

Guest ON3GO

guys i cant get these things off for the life of me.. i tried the fork, i tried beating the SHAT out of it with a hammer, i even farted on it.. NOTHING!

i was feeling depressed so i re did the undercoating in the wheel well so im waiting for it to dry..

anybody have any more ideas?

thanks

hey mike,

what ball joint are you trying to seperate? the tie-rod (steering arm) or the lower strut ball joint?

anywho...if you want give me a call. im going out to my car right now and can possibly give you a few ideas. 10-10-811 is fairly cheap.

Guest ON3GO

Hey man thanks for the help and letting me call ya.

im letting it soak up abit with some penatrating oil, and i just took the rubber mallet out.

ill let you know how it goes.

thanks again

Guest ON3GO

well i tried EVERYTHING! it wont come off.

im now gonna cut the bolt thats on the ball joint.. then buy a new ball joint (its called something else i think).. then clean out the knuckle, liek press out the rest of the bolt, then go to a shop and get the new parts pressed into the tire rod and knuckle....

anything else i need to do?

anything i have to watch while i take off the steering assmbley.

also should i get new knuckles from msa... like the shorter ones?

thanks

How are you going to press them out if they are threaded in? Do you have access to a torch? That would help too.

Also you werent using the rubber mallet to hit the knuckle? were you? If so try hitting it with a 5 lb hammer! That should knock it free. If not try the torch if you have one.

Guy

Guest ON3GO

i tried a rubber hammer to a damn sledge hammer... IT WONT COME OFF!

i have a torch and that was a no go.

is the knuckle it self threaded into the ball joint?

so would i have to turn the knuckle to come off?

im now taking off the whole steering assembly and this is a pain in the A$$.

i have work tomorrow so after that im diving into it again...

im getting this car done to the point i want it to before i leave! its a GOAL!

i dont care if i have only 2 hours a sleep a day.. i will get it done, and give it my best shot.

Hitting the knuckle or the ball joint will get you NOWHERE on a rusty old connection. The only way to do it when its really bad is with a ball joint fork, and you'll still have to beat the crap out of the fork to wedge it in enough.

Remove castle nut and cotter pin, soak the tapered ball joint/knuckle in oil, heat up knuckle with propane torch (not to red, just get it nice and toasty) and then use the fork to wedge them apart. Like I said, pounding on one piece or the other with a hammer won't get them apart very often, you need the fork.

You don't need to do anything special as far as turning the knuckle does.

BTW, have you invested in a Haynes manual yet? They are quite adequate.

Guest cbrunberg

ON3GO,

Sorry it's giving you such a hard time I wish I could be there to show you the hammer tech. The joint isn't threaded and doesn't require a press to assemble. It's a tappered fit. Very strong. It's used in machine equipment (drill presses, lathes. mills ...)In the past I've tried to explain it to people only to have to go do it myself. It really suprises people when it comes loose after one or two hits and they tell me they beat on it for an hour. I worked in a truck wrecking yard and did this for 2 years. We weren't allowed to use a fork because they distroy the rubber. I suggest a combination of the above suggestions. Penetrating oil, the fork to build pressure and maybe hit the knuckle to vibrate it apart. Make sure the castle nut is loose to let the parts sepparate. Heat is never a bad idea unless something is flammable or under pressure. keep the heat away from the strut. The pen. oil probably isn't enough to worry about.

I have seen a tool called a ball joint seperater but have never used one maybe a parts house can rent you one. I believe it clamps over the joint and you turn a screw that presses it out. Also an air hammer might help to press straight down on the stud.

Life's a test, patience will help you pass it.

Carl

Guest cbrunberg

No, I don't have a digital camera, but i'll see what I can do.

In the mean time, maybe go to a local shop and watch them do it. Or go to a wrecking yard and ask one of the parts pullers.

Carl

Guest ON3GO

well i tried a ball joint puller.. no luck...

im now taking off the steering rack but how do i get the steering rod off the whole steering assmbley?

thats the only thing holding me back.

Guest dbass

Mike, I too for the life of me could not get these seperated. Before you booger it all up. maybe I can be of assistance. I disconnected my ball joint, outer tie rod end, and steering knuckle from the suspension. All three parts were impossible to seperate. I used a crescent wrench and pipe wrench to take the outer tie rod end off the rack. Use the crescent wrench on the nut and the pipe wrench on the outer tie rod. I had to brace the crescent wrench against the frame rail to breake loose the outer tie rod end. Once I had the three pieces off the car, I used a hydraulic press to get them disconnected. Now I know you may not have a press so what you can do is take the pieces to a machine shop or respectable auto repair shop and they will more than likely press them out for you. Should only cost you a couple of bucks for their service. They are not threaded but damn the were not gonna come off with a silly hammer either. I hope you can resolve the differences between you and your parents. Life is too short to and unpredictable. Keep your family close as long as you can. You never no when they may not be there.