HybridZ

Got my computer back.......FINALLY!

80LS1T

Well I got my computer back today! I installed it an started it up and it runs great but I have a header leak on my passanger side :evil::x I even have a copper gasket but I think it the actual header not the gasket that is leaking. Thats what I get for installing a cheap ass header. I am going to take it off and have a buddy TIG weld it up so that it wont leak anymore! :D Hopefully that will fix that problem. I still have to put my interior back together and a few other small things but now I am really motivated so maybe by this weekend I will be on the road! 8) This header thing is kinda pissing me off thats for sure!

Guy

Guest BigWhyteDude

glad to hear your up and running Guy. Congrats to yah. I'd give you a two thumbs up but the smilies don't seem to want to work with me right now. Good luck with the header .

Man I dont know what to do about this header situation. It appears to be leaking between the gasket and the header. I have a copper gasket on there but it still isnt doing the trick. I even tried using 2 copper gaskets on that side. My LT1 stock manifold on the other side is sealed up nice but I wasnt really expecting it not to!

I have an idea but Im going to try it first before I say what it is(it might be a dumb idea :wink: )

Be back later! :D

Guy

Well I went out in the garage and tried my idea.....What I did was try to make the header surface smoother(there was a ridge from the weld) so that the gasket would seal. I did this with my 4" angle grider! :shock: Yeah I know Im crazy but I had to try somthing! Well it helped a little but I can still hear a small leak. I am going to pull it off again tommorow and see if the collector is leaking on top(where the 4 pipes come together) Im not sure if its leaking there or not but Im going to find out. I just cant imagine that its still leaking from the header gasket area :roll: . I really need to fix this so I can finish putting my interior back together and take it for a spin!

Guy

Guest greimann

You might want to try a regular gasket. They are a littel more pliable and , to use a technical term, "squishey" . Not as heat resistant as copper, but definitely more conformable to irregular surfaces.

As a last ditch, use some, sensor safe, high temp RTV. It will hold for about 6 months.

Do you think I can get a header gasket at like Autozone? I was thinking the same thing about the regular gasket. I was told to use a copper one because they were supposed to work the best but so far not so good. :?

Guy

Yes you can get them at AutoZone, ask for either LT1 specific or ask for a D port SBC gasket. If they dont have it they can probably get it in a day or two from another store. I like the Fel Pro 1406 I believe it is, for the LT1.

Well heres the thing... the header has round ports. I tried to use the Dport gasket that was intended for the stock manifold but it leaked out of all of the ports. With this round one(copper) it is only leaking from one of the middle ports.

Guy

Ok I think my header is fixed. I had to do some welding on it because it was leaking a little bit but I might finally get to hear what my exhaust sounds like coming out of the tail pipe 100%! I am waiting for it too cool down right now so that I can handle it but I will know within the hour wether or not I fixed it!

If there is a God......please say I fixed it! :D

Guy

Oh just weld the header to the head and be done with it :D .

Oh the thought has crossed my mind! LOL :D

Well I just started it up and it still has a tiny leak on the header. I am going to fix it tommorow when I get home from work. I think after I fix this leak it will actually be fixed! I can say two things......1) a stick welder is not idea for welding on headers(mine is a cheap ass header and is only temporary so I didnt car if I screwed it up) and 2) my header may not look the best but atleast it wont leak!

After I get my body kit and new tires I am saving up the $900 for a set of custom headers for my car cause for one they look like crap and for two this is way too much BS for a shitty header that really isnt going to get me any performance!

Oh and I will have some burn out pics but you will have to wait till I break the engine and clutch in. Its going to be really hard staying off the gas but I know if I dont I could reck my engine and I really dont feel like shelling out the $$$$ for new engine parts! :shock:

Guy