HybridZ

Slotting 4x100 pattern to fit 4x114.3?

Has anyone tried slotting the bolt holes on a 4x110 wheel to fit a 4x114.3 bolt pattern? It would only have to be slotted .085" which doesn't seem like much. They would be slotted radially outward so I don't think there would be any movement since there are always 2 bolts preventing lateral movement. Any comments?

Likely not a good idea, as I can't imagine how your get the wheel to mount concetrically with your hub. The bolt holes are usually chamfered along with the lug nuts to accomplish this, they self center. If you slot the holes, you need to go in exactly the right direction, and move the chamfer as well. If it is not precise, you'll get some baaaad sounds at speed. (and the vibrations to go with them)

A four lug pattern is self centering so it shouldn't be a problem. Have you ever seen a universal fan spacer? Check it out.

40014spacer.jpg

As long as you don't make the slots too big you should be fine.

Guest cbrunberg

I have a set of wheels with a slotted bolt pattern. I took them off a Capri to put on my Z. It can work, if the work is done right.

Carl

Ah yes! I guess as long as you go int he right direction. (ie: don't use a file, use a mill) then it should be doable. Still not sure what you do with the chamfer, though I suppose not all wheels use a chamfered bolt/but combo to ensure concentricity. (D-slots ofr example, use a straight hole and nut)

Guest Anonymous

I had a set of wheels done this way about 10 years ago and they have held up well. Wheels are aluminum with the steel inserts for the lug nut to seat on, I removed the steel inserts and had a machine shop mill outward to accomadate the steel inserts. Mark

A four lug pattern is self centering so it shouldn't be a problem. Have you ever seen a universal fan spacer? Check it out.

As long as you don't make the slots too big you should be fine.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking when I said sloting it radially. I think it would be fully constrained as long as it is done on a mill. The reason I was asking this is because I sometimes run into older 15" 0 offset wheels, like the ones for the older mustangs, for pretty cheap and since the bolt diameters are so close we should be able to adapt it to our cars. Does anyone know how much a machine shop would charge to slot the holes?