HybridZ

1979 Datsun 210 V8 Conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I just blew my small I4 A15 210 engine by putting a 4 barrel edelbrock carb on it with a converter plate... so, I need a new engine for it. I was thinking about trying to put either a chevy or ford short block V8. Does anybody know if its possible and if there are motor mounts available for a conversion like that? Also what type of transmission would I need to get to handle that kind of power and fit in the body of the car?

Anything is possible with enough $$$. With that small car, why don't you look into the 240sx motor? It may have enough power to put a grin on your face. You could always save the small block for a Z (which has far better documentation).

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the reply... That's cool... I already have a 1979 280zx, but I like the I6 the way it is... the motor's dead on the old 210. Is it possible to just pull the motor mounts that were originally on the short block and use them in the 210. I mean, the reason I want to put the short block into the 210 is because it'd really be fast. The car weighs practically nothing without the engine and tranny, so with a V8 engine it'd really burn up the track.

Also, do I need to pull the drive shaft and rear axle that go with the short block, or will the old stuff work just fine. Its just that, when I finally finish with this and let loose on some road somewhere, I don't want to leave everything behind me in a blaze of car parts.

Basically it depends on how good at fabbing you are or... how deep your pockets are. I've never heard of that swap but hey, why not? Just take some measurements and plan it thoroughly before starting. Run a search in the chevy forum for grumpyvette's engine list to give you an idea as to what might fit best. In fact, the search function is invaluable as you can learn so much even if they're not discussing the exact car that you have.

Guest Anonymous

ok, so that's cleared up... So here's the next question. How do I fabricate an engine mount. I mean, I've rebuilt the now-dead I4 on the 210, and the engine mount looks pretty sturdy, made of some solid stuff. Not something that I can make out of a ball of Duct Tape. So, what's it made of, where can I get it, and how's it done?

btw, thanks for your replies, I was thinking nobody was gonna reply to something like, "How do I convert a 210"...

Guest Anonymous

hey, that's not a bad idea... the fuel injected engine would run a hell of a lot smoother than the old carb, and its also I4. So then I wouldn't need new engine mounts? or just the ones from the SR20DE?

Thanks for your input, I'd have never thought of that...

• 15 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...