HybridZ

turbo made by cartech

Guest 72datsun240z

Guest 72datsun240z

Hey guys friend of mine has a turbo for sale that was made for datsun 240z .but it is used and whenever he took it off all he took was the turbo itself the exhaust manifould and a pipe that says turbo in cursive. this kit came with tripple mikuni setup but since he does not have those i was going to make custom sealed box around my stock dual hitachi sus.i would like to know what else will i need to complete this project oh by the way i think this product was distributed by jimcookracing at one time but they don't sell it any more here goes the link http://www.jimcookracing.com/catalog/page25.html

thanx for any help

Guest zpeedracer25

I would suggest going with carbs that are made for turbo applications. If I'm thinking right, you run into problems when you come under boost especially where you have vacuum to your carbs that now becomes pressurized. Plus I don't believe the stock carbs can supply enough fuel necessary for a turbo application. You might try going with that 4 barrel carb intake upgrade and buy a blow through carb from Summit or Jegs. It may be cheaper and easier in the long run.

By the way, my 280Z used to be a Cartech car before the previous owner blew the engine up. I still have some of the old paperwork. Supposedly it was good for 350 HP. The only thing I have left from that is the intercooler which is a nice IC!

Hope you get it figured out. It should make for a fast Z when you get it done.

Gary

I would use the plenum with either triple side-draft throttle bodies on a triple Weber/Solex/Delleroto/Mikuni type manifold; or use three carbs, gutted except for throttle plates, and have injector bungs welded onto the manifold. I can't think of a good reason to use carbs with the turbo, not in this era of f.i. DAW

The old Crown turbo kit used 1 SU but it was a suck thorugh. Haven't seen any blow through SU's. I know you would have to either plug the float bowl vent or route it to your pressure box. If you can fab the plenum's your self and aren't into it for much I would try it.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

howcome when I asked this question everyone said "if you have to ask then dont even bother trying" :?

I am thinking of making a custom turbo setup with twin TBI myself. Maybe we can compare notes :)

howcome when I asked this question everyone said "if you have to ask then dont even bother trying" :?

I am thinking of making a custom turbo setup with twin TBI myself. Maybe we can compare notes :)

You asked how to blow through 2 SU's? I thought you were going to build a fast N/A car, then it was a TBI, now it's twin TBI and turbo. Asking "how to turbo something" and "what do I need to complete a project" is completely different. This is probably why you didn't get the answers you were looking for. If you say you are going to run twin TBI then you would have to know how the system you are talking about, cause I doubt anyone here would know or even want to know as there isn't a reason to use it as port injection is better and manifolds are reaily available. TBI is great for 80's Chevy work trucks though.

Guest JAMIE T
TBI is great for 80's Chevy work trucks though

OUCH! I think Pete P. is using a Holley TBI on his 406 chevy with Megasquirt.

Hey 72Datsun240Z, what are you going to do with the Cartech Plenum? I'm about to do a Blow-through set up with triples.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
"CliftonYou asked how to blow through 2 SU's? I thought you were going to build a fast N/A car' date=' then it was a TBI, now it's twin TBI and turbo.[/quote']

What can I say, as budget and tenacity increase so do ideas. :D

Of course, a week or so from now and I might be selling the 280 eng to dive into my JTR swap :wink:

I misread your first post and I thought that you had the Cartech airbox for triple sidedrafts. With f.i. bolt-on and turbo bolt-on readily available for the L6, why would you try to work with two carbs and a turbo? It makes little sense to me. DAW

Guest 72datsun240z

cuz i never liked the idea of fuel injection i had a 280z before i just didn't like all the electronics that are including on the f.i. and it just so complicated if i wanted to switch to f.i. it would be just way too much hassle for me that i can't and don't know how to do and i like the idea of a turbo and than i see the turbo kit and i foud out my friend has one so i thought i would just keep it simple with the carbs .

I don't think that you're keeping it simple with the carbs in this situation. With a turbo the fuel distribution becomes even more critical and the margin of error much lower if a lean cylinder occurs. It can be done, but I doubt the risk and complexity will justify the benefit or create more hp than a stock L28ET. I'm not trying to discourage your creativity; rather, save you some headaches and some money. DAW

Guest JAMIE T

Mike, don't get discouraged yet. Yahoo groups has a Blow-Thru Turbo group. I'm a member there. Another guy is doing blow-thru SU's(Hitachi style). I am doing a blow-thru set-up using triple side-drafts. Check out the turbo forum below for a thread on Blow-thru set-ups titled, "Blow through Turbo, again". There is more useful info there. Unfortunatly, SU's are not the most popular carb for Blow-thru application, but apparently Rover did some on an OEM application. So, it can be done.

BTW, how much of the Cartech set-up do you have? Plenum, pipes, intercooler, fuel pressure regulator, turbo, exhuast manifold?

If you decide to not use any of it, let me know, I might be interested in it. Like, if build a plenum for the SU's, I'd like a shot at the plenum. Same goes for any of the rest of the parts.